Cannot distiguish if I have a light period or spotting after ECP.

By July 18, 2013 - 2:49am

The past 2 weeks my boyfriend and I have been using the withdrawal method. (He puts a condom on before he comes) As I have not been taking my pill at the same time everyday and may have missed one. (cannot remember I am moving and have been stressed) One night we didn't use a condom and I went and took the ECP just to be on the safe side. However now I have had light bleeding for two days (my period is due), it started of brown and now its light red. It only requires panty liners not a pad. Is this normal? Do I have spotting?

P.s I have been stressed lately with moving and a family member being very sick but normally don't get a light period ever!

Hi aquarius9,

Thanks for your post and I am sorry things are so stressful for you right now. But remember a pregnancy would be even more stressful so make sure you are protected! I hope your family member feels better very soon.

We can't tell you if this is a light period or spotting from EC - nobody can know that, not even you. However, EC is about 92% effective so your risk of pregnancy is low. Additionally, as you know, bleeding from EC is common side effect.

Keep using precautions (the pull out method is not advisable from days 10-20) and if your period doesn't come, take a test. However, as I said, your risk should be very low.