ask: Cannot wake from drug induced coma after brain surgery

By K1986 May 2, 2011 - 11:56am

My mother in law had a Brain surgery last Monday for some frontal lobe tumor that lasted for 3 hours. When finished the doctors said it went very well and they excised the tumor and sent it to pathology.
After few hours she waked up and all of her functions were normal and she was stable. But few hours later she had heart complications (maybe arrhythmia) and hypotension, and they had to put her under anesthesia again (for 3 days), after that when she waked up she had some sort of convulsions and they had to induce coma for another 3 days. But now they just can't wake her up !!!! all of her vitals and ICP are stable.

Why did that happen? how often dose it happen? how long is she gona be asleep? what are her options? what can we do?

Hi. My boyfriend had a second surgery to remove what was left of his brain tumor on the 22nd. He is in another country and I couldn't be there so a close friend of his was keeping me updated. After the surgery the friend told me the doctors said it was a success and he is in intensive care. They put him in a medically induced coma to give his brain to heal. The first surgey almost a year ago, he went into a coma on his own and was in one for a week. It was too stressful having his friend contact me because I was terrified and never knew what the news would be so I told him not to contact me because being so far away made me feel anxious and helpless. The last time he contact me was July 25 in the early morning to say my boyfriend still hadn't waken up. So I've heard nothing and I'm wondering if he should have waken up by now. Being that this is his second surgery and he's 21 I have high hopes but when it comes to this you can never know. So do u think the chances are good that he's awake now and ok?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I can appreciate what you are going through. Seven years ago, I underwent a craniotomy to remove a brain tumor which was the size of a softball. I was in a medically induced coma for at least a week. I don't remember much but it was a living hell for my family. The odds of my surviving surgery were not very good.

Focus on the positive that the doctors said the surgery was a success and the fact that your boyfriend is a young man.

Keep a positive attitude. I will keep him in my prayers. I learned first hand the power of positive thinking and prayer. Only time will tell:)

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hi again. I was writing to tell u that I received news that my BF passed away on July 31st. His cousin said it was because of seizures. I find this hard to believe because from what I've heard they give u seizure medications before and after surgery. His surgery was the 22nd and he didn't die til the 31st? It doesn't makes sense to me. He was only 21 and healthy, and his surgery was a success so I'm very lost. Also he was in a good cancer hospital so I'm sure they deal with patients who have seizures all the time, so what really happened?

I am deeply sorry to hear about your loss. Only the physicians and nurses who cared for your boyfriend know what was done and how he responded. Each case is unique. Though the surgery was a success, you do not know what the long term prognosis was. Location of the tumor and extent of damage done play a role in his prognosis.

Thank u so much for that, I really appreciate it.

My best friend was beaten up a week and 3 days ago now he has a bleed on the brain mutiple fractures to hes skull and is in an iduced coma he had drainging thing put into hes head to stop the swelling but it wasnt affective enough he also caught phnemonia rang us and told us he only had hours to live but he puck back up again and was strong enough to go into theatre to have some of hes skull taken away as hes brain was still swelling but all the nurses are saying now is hes stable hes only 22 and i cant imagine life with out him we went all through nursery to high school togeather and even tho we had our partners we still make time for each other atleat twice a week .. I just want to know hes chances of survival and how long could he be in this state

I can appreciate how traumatic this must be for you. It is a promising sign that his condition has stabilized enough that allow for surgery. His young age is in his favor for recovering.

However, only his physicians know the extent of any damage to the brain and his prognosis. No one can predict how long he will remain a coma. But, as the fluid drains and the swelling is reduced, he has a very good chance of regaining consciousness.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

who is this idiot Maryann?
Why does she keep defending doctors and making it seem that it is the patients fault?
We should just accept that when in doubt shut down the patient and wait for them to fight to come back....Really?
She is brained washed and thinks doctors are not human and cannot make mistakes.
My mother was admitted for lack of oxygen to the brain. She was medically knock out. put on a vent and then put in a cryogenic ice state thus keeping her heavily sedated. After they reversed everything she could not wake up. Eyes rolling around in her head.
She is now a vegetable thanks to a stupid protocol that they think should be used on every patient.
They killed my mothers quality of life. I have no respect for todays medical personnel.
you cannot fight them in courts because they took a oath to cover up for each others malpractice.
They only get your consent on certain procedures, and do what ever they want on things they feel that they can get away with in emergency situations which actually kill.

My cousin was in a car accident and was put into a medically induced coma, she ended up passing away. What could of caused this?

Only the attending physician knows the cause of your cousin's death.

Coma Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :