causes of breast pain

By October 9, 2009 - 7:48am

My wife is suffering from breast pain(right) since last 10 days. I shown her to doctor. She told me it may musclar or infection. Anyway she had given some medicine & she was little bit ok. But after few days it again start & simulateneously her right hand & right eye also gave her a lot of pain. Again I gave her NOBLE-MR & she was relaxed after that.Whenever she is doing some heavy work like washing clothes she is experiencing same problem.

She is 31 years of old & mother of two children. She has one benign tumour in left breast & it is not paining in anyway. She was also had done breast-feeding to both children.I have done FNAC test of her left breast. It came negative.There is no lump in right breast now. But left breast having one benign tumour as mentioned earlier(this is existing since childhood).

Please advice me what is the cause of this pain? And also suggest me its remedy?

Thanking you

pls not clear timing of pain and lft brest tumor size.

My wife 59 years is suffering from intermittent severe pain in both breasts,more in right.Mammography done in Oct2012 was O.K.She was earlier taking B Long F. Now she is taking Cod Soft gel since mid Apr14. There is no improvement.Pl advice further treatment.

My relative is suffering from breast pain(left and right) and vomiting. Sometimes she is suffereing from headache and stomach pain also. She is 33 age having one child. She had small stone like formation below her left and right breast. She consult doctor. They told that is due to cough. They adviced to take codistar epo tab. But we did not get this tablet. Doctor told don't take codistar syp. Then they adviced to take codesoft epo cap. We did not know what is the right problem. She is fearing that it is breast cancer. Please suggest.

Good morning Madam,

thanks for your kindness towards my query. Maam, after consuming the above said medicine for 45 days as per my doctor advice now she is ok. But yesterday she told me she is experiencing same pain as earlier but not at very large. I think it may due to some injury which may be caused by my little son(unknowingly). but as per doctor ther is no lump at there. Still she is experiencing , it means it may due to her psycological effect or any other thing.Please guide should I again consult my doctor Or directly going for a mammography?
Actually this pain is not like earlier.But if you press the breast somewhere it causes pain. One more thing i would like to add to it that since my second child her right breast was quite loose as compared to her left breast(bcoz my son usually like to have milk from the right breast only)& her left nipple is also little harder than her right breast.Please suggest me what i will do now?

Thanking you

Expert HERWriter

Hello Prasant! First of all, I am so touched that you took the time to post a question for and about your wife. That shows me what a caring husband you are and I think your wife is very lucky to have you! I agree with all of the information posted above and I have a dear friend who gets breast pain on the left side and her doctor also thinks it's probably muscular in origin (and her mammograms come back perfect each year), and her OB/GYN also suggested evening primrose oil. One other question I wanted to ask--does your wife enjoy drinking coffee? Caffeine may also contribute to breast pain, from what I have read. Since you have 2 children she might be drinking some caffeine to keep up with them--I know how energetic kids can be and lots of Moms love their coffee! If this is the case she might want to cut back a bit; that might help her as well. Please continue to post and let us know how she is doing and again, thank you so much for taking the time to post for her. Best in health, Michelle

Thanks so much for the update and although mastalgia is painful, it's a better outcome than other diagnoses.

It's hard to say what precautions she may need to take in the future since her doctor is currently doing a trial-and-error basis in treatment (trying the primrose oil for 45 days) but your wife may want to re-evaluate her birth control pill in case it is contributing to her pain. She needs to talk to her doctor about this if the primrose oil does not work but it's good that she's trying a more natural method first, before taking pills. She also needs to make sure she is getting enough magnesium in her diet (a lack of can result in breast pain) and to keep her diet relatively low in fat.

Give this 45 day treatment a shot and hopefully it will help her as I know this kind of breast pain is very hard to live with. I'd also like to thank you for being such a concerned husband and for looking out for you wife. All women should hope to have a husband who cares enough to research causes and treatments! Make sure your wife is also empowered to do her own research too and become educated about her body and her health.

Please update us after her primrose oil treatments have reached 45 days and let us know how she is doing!

Good Morning Maam,

I show my wife to doctor. She told me the symptoms is directing towards Mastalgia. So she prescribed her to take "Codesoft"(Evening Primose Oil Capsule 1000mg) once daily for 45 days. She also told her it is better to operate the other fibredonoma which is in left breast which may be danger in later days. She also told her that there is nothing like lump or any other in her right breast. So now I am feeling much relaxed. Thanks for your kind guidance. And please suggest me if there is any extra precaution She will take in future.

Sorry Maam, I forgot to write one more thing related to my wife. She is taking oral-contraceptive tablet(OVERAL-G) . Is it anyway causing breast pain. Please advice?

(reply to arati-dash)

Hormonal contraception may cause some breast tenderness (as many women experience during their menstrual cycle), but would not be described as "breast pain".

Any pain in the breast should be evaluated by your wife's medical doctor.

Please let us know how her medical appointment goes!

Dear arati-dash

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

Breast pain is common in women - it's known as mastalgia. There are two kinds of mastalgia; one is called cyclical and the other is non-cyclic. It doesn't sound like your wife is suffering from the cyclical kind because it usually affects both breasts and doesn't come out of nowhere - it's caused by her monthly cycle and comes and goes and her cycle does. Non cyclical can affect just one breast and can come out of the blue, as it the case with your wife.

From our Encyclopedia, here is a little more about mastalgia :

Mastalgia is breast pain. There are two types of mastalgia, cyclical and noncyclic. Cyclical breast pain is most often associated with menstrual periods. Noncyclic pain does not vary with the menstrual cycle.

Mastalgia can be caused by:

* Hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle
* Trauma to the breast
* Arthritis in the chest cavity and neck

Risk Factors

A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.

The following factors are thought to increase the risk of mastalgia:

* Relatively high hormone levels (estrogen and progesterone) of the second half of the menstrual cycle
* History of arthritis
* Irritation of cervical (neck) nerve roots

Symptoms of mastalgia may include:

* Pain in the breast area, ranging from minor discomfort to severe pain

Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. Breast cancer does not commonly cause pain. However, your doctor may also perform a mammogram.

Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include:

Ruling Out Cancer

Worry of cancer can be the main concern associated with mastalgia. Performing a mammogram to rule out cancer as a cause can provide reassurance.

Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) may reduce the pain associated with mastalgia. Also, toremifene (Fareston), which is used in the hormonal treatment of breast cancer, may help reduce cyclical mastalgia.

As to why your wife is also suffering from pain in her right hand and right eye at the same time - there may be a problem with one of her nerves or a pulled muscle that is affecting her right side in general. It seems that the benign tumor in her left breast is unconnected to her pain now? Do her doctors believe this to be the case?

If so, it may be a muscular issue like her doctor said. Does you wife remember any kind of trauma to her body at the time the pain started? Any kind of injury or strain? These kind of injuries can take some time to heal. In the meantime, help her out as much as you can with heavy housework because if she continues to do it herself, her healing time will take a lot longer.

Since you wrote to us, have you seen any improvment in the last couple of days? Also, can you explain what NOBLE - MR is? I'm unfamiliar with that. Thanks and please keep us updated!

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide