causes of chronic left side abdominal pain?

By Anonymous April 28, 2016 - 1:38pm

Long term abdominal pain in the lower left side, spreading occasionally to the right. Lasting over a year now, worsening in the last few months. Seems to worsen with exercise, menstrual cycle and sexual intercourse, but had a scan of reproductive organs in december due to a cyst, which found nothing unusual (including no cyst). recently had a US abdominal ultrasound and full blood work, they found nothing unusual but couldn't see my ovaries etc. can wake up in the middle of the night screaming and immobilised with pain. Feels like a stabbing, wrenching pain which shoots down my left leg even on a normal day.

I Am now beginning to tire and take a range of pain medication which never entirely takes away the pain including; prescription strength zapain, neurofen, paracetamol, cubrofen etc. Last year I had severe tonsilitis and resulting pleurisy for a few months, lungs recently became painful again only on the left side so I do not know if this is linked. But it appears to be happening more and more often. Also have a history of pylonephritis, which I had 4 times but not for a fair few years now. I am in pain every day, and am really beginning to worry about the effects all of this is having on my body.
I am only 20 and would really like to get on with my life, its so disruptive and I'm miserable. I have had suggestions such as IBS (already checked as well as coeliac - negative), pancreas and liver problems (also negative), cancer, everything they can think of, so any suggestions would be helpful at this point. Thanks so much.

Pain on the left side of the body can often be linked to the digestive tract. But you seem to have had all your internal organs checked out so it's a bit of a mystery to us too.

If you have shooting pain down your leg this can indicate a spinal issue - you may have sciatica. Have you had your spine checked out? Have you had any investigation into nerve damage?

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/sciatica/content/sciatica-radiating-pain-sciatic-nerve