Labor & Delivery

Labor & Delivery Guide

ask: Cervidil for birth induction

I would like to have more information about the safety of Cervidil for use for induction.

thank you!

Hi Sasha

I was induced with my first baby (I was 42 weeks along with no amniotic fluid left) and was given both cervidil and pitocin.

I experienced severe non-stop vomiting, fevers of above 103 degrees and just about everything on Tina's list above. I ultimiately needed an emergency c-section after an almost 30 hour labor and experienced a massive uterine infection.

That's what my experience was. I know of women who took cervidil and/or pitocin and experienced none of what I did but my experience is not unusual, unfortunately.

Tina Tran

Hi sasha,

The NIH says side effects from dinoprostone are not common, but they can occur. Talk to your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

* upset stomach
* vomiting
* diarrhea
* dizziness
* flushing of the skin
* headache
* fever

You can find out more information about Cervidil at this link:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682512.html

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: