Ductal Carcinoma In Situ

Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Guide

ask: Is chemotherapy necessary in invasive ductal breast cancer where the tumor is over 2 cm?

I have just been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer. I was misdiagnosed 8 months ago and now the tumor has grown to 2.2 cm.

Anonymous

I am diagnosed of stage3 grade 2 of invasive ductal ca. my er/pr is positive nad her2 is negative. I will be going to chemo first before the surgery. what does it mean?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I strongly urge you to have a conversation with your oncologist before you start chemotherapy.

This spring, I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma and invasive mucinous carcinoma. I can tell you that er/pr positive means the tumor is estrogen and progesterone sensitive. I have the same results. HER2 negative means the tumor is not genetically linked. This means that your daughter(s), and granddaughters are not at risk.

I will be receiving a hormone receptive blocker drug, such as Tamoxifen, to prevent recurrence of the tumor. This takes care of the er/pr positive element of the cancer. I had a mastectomy first.

Hope this helps,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I too had ductal carsinoma i woke up with a 4 and half centemeter tumor on side of my breast your best chance is chemotherapy first till kill off cancer cells then surgery i was given option of lumpectomy with all lipnodes removed i chose mastectomy instead to better my chances once i recovered from surgery had 15 rounds of radiation done while taking tamoxofin which i now continue to take for next five years doing treatment in this order better your chances for survival my oncologist and surgeon told me now im cancer free had my second followup everything is good

Anonymous

hi,my name is polly,i have been diagnosed with invasive ductal carsanoma situ,and invasive ductal carsanoma high grade,my surgy has removed a mass about 3in from breast and i have 1 lymphnode that showed positive out of three, do i need to get chemo,are just radiation,i have to do hormone tharapy,mine is her2 neg,but it is estrogen and perdasone positive.can anyone have any help on this,thank u

Anonymous

Hello everyone...My name is Melissa and I am a 31 who was diagnosed with Stage II Grade 3 breast cancer. I have no family history of cancer and I recently had a lumpectomy with a sentinel node biopsy. I just received the results back from the surgeon and he told me that it was negative for lymph node involvement and that I am Estrogen/ Progesterone+ and I am still waiting on the results back from the other hormone receptor. I have already seen the oncologist who is recommending chemo and radiation. I however am very leery about the chemo and would like to know have some feedback on what I should do. I am a mother of 4 who has been completely blessed in my life and had started really having some hormone issues about 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome). I feel as though if the doctors really would have listened to me in regards to my testosterone issues and other things that were going on then things may have turned out differently but anyways I have serious doubts about the chemo and feel that getting my hormones in check will aleviate my chances of the cancer returning. I know that I am not a doctor so I would love to hear anyones feedback on this since maybe I am not fully understanding the nature of this beast. Thanks so much for any responses and God bless:)

charlotte Cilley

I am not sure. I am interested in
this and reading and studying.

Good luck to you S.J.
If I find out more, I will share.

KorynH

Dear SJ-
A second opinion is always a good idea when deciding such a big issue as chemo therapy. There is a test called the Oncotype DX test which can be performed on breast cancer tumors to see if they will benefit frm chemo therapy. If I understood you correctly your tumor was NOT her2 positive. Her2 positive cancers respond to Herceptin which, even in low staged breast cancers, is most effecftive when given along with chemo therapy. If your lymph nodes are clear (have you have a sentinel node lymph biopsy performed yet?) this would help in the decision as well. I know it is a very scary time for you and I hope you will feel the support of this community in helping you wade through the many choices out there.
Koryn

Anonymous (reply to KorynH)

Dear Koryn,

Unfortunately, my tumor is actually 3 cm and there's probably more than one (biopsies were done on two other tumors near the area). It's HER2 positive and I am currently in chemotherapy. the lymph nodes are not apparently very swollen but a biopsy was done on them about two weeks ago. Since I live in France and in France work is very slow in August, I haven't been able to get the results yet. Thanks for your words of support and for the advice. I did get a second (third in fact!) opinion and I feel this is the optimum course of treatment for my condition.

KorynH (reply to Anonymous)

SJ-
are you getting Herceptin for the Her2+ status? I really hope this is available to you there in France. I use to live in Germany! We lived near Kaiserslautern, 2003 - 2005.
How are you tolerating chemo therapy? I hope you are doing well today.
Koryn

Anonymous

SJ,
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Best of luck with whatever treatment you decide to follow.