Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Is chemotherapy necessary in invasive ductal breast cancer where the tumor is over 2 cm?

By Anonymous July 20, 2009 - 9:05am
Rate This

I have just been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer. I was misdiagnosed 8 months ago and now the tumor has grown to 2.2 cm.

Add a Comment21 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

I am diagnosed of stage3 grade 2 of invasive ductal ca. my er/pr is positive nad her2 is negative. I will be going to chemo first before the surgery. what does it mean?

October 2, 2013 - 6:08am
Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello Anonymous,

I strongly urge you to have a conversation with your oncologist before you start chemotherapy.

This spring, I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma and invasive mucinous carcinoma. I can tell you that er/pr positive means the tumor is estrogen and progesterone sensitive. I have the same results. HER2 negative means the tumor is not genetically linked. This means that your daughter(s), and granddaughters are not at risk.

I will be receiving a hormone receptive blocker drug, such as Tamoxifen, to prevent recurrence of the tumor. This takes care of the er/pr positive element of the cancer. I had a mastectomy first.

Hope this helps,


October 2, 2013 - 5:13pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

What stage was your bc and what grade? Trying to make decisions here versus chemo or no chemo. PR ER positive a Hers2 negative
1 or 2 lymph nodes. That's all I know for now thank you

September 18, 2015 - 9:58am
Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello Anonymous,

I was diagnosed with DCIS or ductal carcinoma in situ. Also known as intraductal carcinoma, it is considered non-invasive or pre-invasive breast cancer. DCIS means that cells that lined the ducts have changed to look like cancer cells.

I must point out that I have a history of esthesioneuroblastoma, which is a rare type of breast cancer.

Based on biopsy results, a complete right mastectomy was performed. In my case, the cancer was a sub-type called mucinous. The cells appeared as scattered grains of sand. There was no mass.

Because the area of involved tissue was 3 centimeters, chemotherapy was recommended.

The intraoperative biopsy of the sentinel lymph nodes was negative, so no lymph nodes were removed.

An Oncotype DX was run on the biopsy and it was determined that this was an estrogen positive cancer. I am currently taking a daily dose of Anastosole, which is a hormone inhibitor.

Two years later, I am happy to say that I am cancer-free.

Hope this helps. I have no regrets and who doesn't want to be cancer free.


September 18, 2015 - 10:09am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I too had ductal carsinoma i woke up with a 4 and half centemeter tumor on side of my breast your best chance is chemotherapy first till kill off cancer cells then surgery i was given option of lumpectomy with all lipnodes removed i chose mastectomy instead to better my chances once i recovered from surgery had 15 rounds of radiation done while taking tamoxofin which i now continue to take for next five years doing treatment in this order better your chances for survival my oncologist and surgeon told me now im cancer free had my second followup everything is good

August 31, 2014 - 6:25am
EmpowHER Guest

hi,my name is polly,i have been diagnosed with invasive ductal carsanoma situ,and invasive ductal carsanoma high grade,my surgy has removed a mass about 3in from breast and i have 1 lymphnode that showed positive out of three, do i need to get chemo,are just radiation,i have to do hormone tharapy,mine is her2 neg,but it is estrogen and perdasone positive.can anyone have any help on this,thank u

May 22, 2013 - 11:18am
EmpowHER Guest

Hello everyone...My name is Melissa and I am a 31 who was diagnosed with Stage II Grade 3 breast cancer. I have no family history of cancer and I recently had a lumpectomy with a sentinel node biopsy. I just received the results back from the surgeon and he told me that it was negative for lymph node involvement and that I am Estrogen/ Progesterone+ and I am still waiting on the results back from the other hormone receptor. I have already seen the oncologist who is recommending chemo and radiation. I however am very leery about the chemo and would like to know have some feedback on what I should do. I am a mother of 4 who has been completely blessed in my life and had started really having some hormone issues about 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome). I feel as though if the doctors really would have listened to me in regards to my testosterone issues and other things that were going on then things may have turned out differently but anyways I have serious doubts about the chemo and feel that getting my hormones in check will aleviate my chances of the cancer returning. I know that I am not a doctor so I would love to hear anyones feedback on this since maybe I am not fully understanding the nature of this beast. Thanks so much for any responses and God bless:)

December 29, 2011 - 9:50am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

I was a survivor for 13 years had ductal carcinoma and had 4 treatments of chemo theory, for me it wasn"t bad at all that's the liquired not the pill there"s a differents talk too your oncology doctor about this, then I had 44 radiations on breast, four under the arm because first lympnod was positive. Ok now 13 years ago on the same month surprise I got invasive ductual carcinoma ok I said enough don"t want too go threw it again so I had double mecsectomy and starts recognstruction on my left breast which was good, well got the last test surprise I need chemo theory which today your survivor rate is very good years ago they gave chemo pill that wasn"t good. Today they learned so much of this type and they say Chemo theropy chances are so much better of surviving. PlEASE talk with your breast cancer specialist and chemo oncology and this will clear your mind for you too dothe right thing. Good Luck god Bless

April 2, 2015 - 12:42pm
charlotte Cilley

I am not sure. I am interested in
this and reading and studying.

Good luck to you S.J.
If I find out more, I will share.

January 13, 2011 - 4:05pm

Dear SJ-
A second opinion is always a good idea when deciding such a big issue as chemo therapy. There is a test called the Oncotype DX test which can be performed on breast cancer tumors to see if they will benefit frm chemo therapy. If I understood you correctly your tumor was NOT her2 positive. Her2 positive cancers respond to Herceptin which, even in low staged breast cancers, is most effecftive when given along with chemo therapy. If your lymph nodes are clear (have you have a sentinel node lymph biopsy performed yet?) this would help in the decision as well. I know it is a very scary time for you and I hope you will feel the support of this community in helping you wade through the many choices out there.

August 24, 2009 - 8:09am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Ductal Carcinoma In Situ

Get Email Updates

Related Topics

Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Guide

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!