Chest pain as a symptom of AS

By November 8, 2010 - 10:07am

I've had AS for 15 years now (I'm 30) and this year the chest pain has been getting worse and more frequent. I experience tenderness, sharp pains and I feel like there is pressure on my chest and that I don't have much room to breathe. It comes and goes, and is sometimes more constant - for a day or a few days - but it is quite distressing. I'd be interested in knowing other people's experience of the chest pain. Thanks.

I have had symptoms of AS for 25 years now and am just starting to get diagnosed. So many specialists, tests, doctors - on the one hand I'm glad to be getting answers, on the other....
One of my first symptoms was chest pain. Sharp, behind the right breast usually and lasting 10-90 seconds at a time. I went to a cardiologist and wore a 24 hour halter monitor and found it not to be cardiac in origin. Only since my research into AS have I found that 'rib cage' pain is common.

HERWriter Guide (reply to ShellyraeRN)

Thanks for sharing that information, ShellyraeRN. That's very helpful. Hope you are receiving the care you need now that you have your diagnosis. Pat

Hi mec

You have certainly been dealing with AS for a long time - 15 years and you are only 30! You were handed a lot at such a young age.

AS is quite a hot topic here on EmpowHER so you have come to the right place for information and support!

There are many symptoms of AS but you are correct in wondering if your chest pain may be one. From our AS page, here are the most common symptoms:

* Stiffening and pain (arthritis) of the:
o Lower back
o Sacroiliac joint, where the back and hip meet, possibly radiating down the legs
* Pain that is often worse at night
* Stiffness that is worse in the morning
* Symptom improvement with exercise or activity
* Occasionally, pain and stiffness in other joints:
o Knee
o Upper back
o Rib cage
o Neck
o Shoulders
o Feet
* Chest pain, which may suggest heart, heart valve (aortic insufficiency), or lung involvement
* Eye pain, visual changes, increased tearing which may suggest eye involvement (uveitis)

mec, you can read a lot more on our AS page here, as well as lots of articles on the subject and questions and solutions for women just like you: http://www.empowher.com/condition/ankylosing-spondylitis

mec, have you spoken to your doctor about your chest pain? What has he or she told you?
I hope to hear back from you soon!

Hi Susan, Thank you for your reply and the information. Yes I've mentioned it to my rheumatologist and he said it is to do with the condition. I'm going on a course for people with AS in Bath (next week) so I'll be able to ask them more about it and what I can do ...I'm not too keen to start taking the Anti TNF medication as I'm worried about the side effects. At the moment I'm not taking any medication, I've tried all the anti inflammatories (NSAIDS) over the years and they haven't helped me. Now I'm starting a low starch diet as I've heard it has helped many people with AS.
Best wishes, mec

Thanks for the update mec!

I hear Bath is beautiful but never got their myself. All I knew as a kid was that Tears for Fears were from there so that made me like it even more!

Will you let us know how your course goes and tell us what it all entailed? I'd love to hear more.

I hope to hear back from you!

Ankylosing Spondylitis

Ankylosing Spondylitis Guide