ask: Chest Pain when Walking

By Sophie1 June 16, 2008 - 12:45am

I'm 45 yr old female, 160 lbs, 5'1. Trying to loose weight and have chronic fatigue.

I started walking and I notice 20 mins in to my walk, I get chest pain on the upper right side of my chest. The decollete area, in between my collarbone and the beginning of my breast. The pain is sharp heavy but does not spread. It starts gradually but goes away if I rest. Is this a sign of a Heart Attack or Angina?

Anonymous I am writing my real story to help all my office going friends, who are travelling by public transport and carry a laptop with some other items into a bag on their back...the bag we generally call the "Pitthu Bag"...LOL (A bag to hang on your back...hahahaha)
From some past few days I was feeling some sharp pain in left side chest, I ignored it for few days but when I started thinking about it, I depressed and some bad thoughts started hiting my mind like..Is it a cardiac pain, did i get any heart dieses, did I get Angina etc. etc. and finally I planned to visit a doctor on this coming saturday on 30th May 2015.
On Monday Night, I googled my problem and found many websites talking about this problem, but after reading the content on these websites I ease my stress because many websites were telling that sharp pain for few seconds or mild pain with no other symptoms could not be considered always as cardiac disorder. A website stated some symptoms and causes of this kind of pain and I tally them with my symptoms and my routine life and my daily habits. Alias I found that it's a time to change something in life ....I decided to change something.
Here what I altered....
I hang my laptop bag on shoulders and walk and travel in bus with carrying this bag on my back, I changed it and took off the bag from shoulder and started holding it in hands from last 2 days.....For my wonder I did not feel any pain in chest or else where by just changing this habit of carrying laptop bag.
I concluded...The strips of bag was tight and they were making some pressure on chest that is why the vessels and arteries at heart was not being able to pass the blood properly and a pain starts because when we walk fast the heart needs more oxygen and pumps blood fast but while the tight wide strips were covering the left chest and due to pressure of it the heart was not being able to function properly in the situation.
Finally by altering this daily habit of hanging the laptop bag on shoulder, I started holding it in hands and the problem sorted out.
I advice you all my loving friends to take care of this kind of unknown habits which are making trouble in our daily life and to our valuable health!
Cheers with all of you .....happy healthy life!!

I am dealing with the same situation. .got my lipid done..cholesterol on border line..mild pain in chest area from past 2 weeks at the same area where I hang my 10 k.g laptop bag...on single shoulder... no breathing problems. .bp id fine...going for a stree echo..on 11.05.2015...finger crossed...

I have a pain between my breasts when I walk, I do have COPD, is this what is causing the pain.

Have a question,I get chest pain and upper back pain,with moderate activity. Just walking starts it.Eases with rest too. Have had all GItests and Cardiac tests. All normal. A year ago had pancreatitis due to stones in bile duct. Had temporary stent. Have never felt well since.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Your pain may be due to physical unfitness.  While your heart may be normal (which is excellent) your body and heart may not be used to regular physical stimulation.  

I have no heart trouble but when I was away from exercise for several months while recovering from a c-section, I also had some chest discomfort when getting back on track.  It should leave if you exercise 30 minutes a day, every single day.

Are you doing something like this already? How long have you had this discomfort? Are you overweight?

Dear Sir
My mom has severe pain at her upper back .she also feel uncomfort at her right side of chest during walking and could not even walk.
Doctor says all reports of blood chest etc are ok.Her age is 60 . pls suggest to which specialist we have to contact.

Have you consulted your doctor about your symptoms? Your doctor would be able to determine what contributing factors could be behind your breathlessness while exercising, nausea and insomnia.

Please let us know how you're doing and if your doctor was able to pinpoint any causes for you.

Is there some specific information you would like us to research for you, in the meanwhile?

There is also study on chronic angina being conducted by one of our resources: AWARE Clinical Research Study and you might see if you qualify for the study by reading the FAQs

Anonymous (reply to alysiak)

I am going to the doctor on the 24th of this month for my annual physical and I will give a detailed list to him. I have been very aware of not feeling right over the past couple of weeks and am not sure if any of these symptoms might have something do do with perimenopause, I am 39 and I am also about 45 lbs overweight, I also have high cholesterol, it is 230.

I have been having aches in my arms and legs off and on for a few weeks. I also have to take over the counter antacids for heartburn daily. Today after I was on my eptilipical (sp) machine for about 10 minutes, I experienced shortness of breath and felt like there was a weight on my chest. I felt like this for about 15 minutes. I have been extremely tired lately and have insomnia at 4 in the morning almost every day. I have also been experiencing occasional bouts of nausea coupled with dizziness.

Are you really power walking, or fitness walking?

What pace are you walking? How long does it take you to complete 1 mile?

One of the most respected running and walking resources online is and they have great information on walking for health and fitness.

Learning to control your breathing and stride are important in learning how to fitness walk properly. When you build up your speed to the point at which you can easily complete a mile in 12 minutes or less, and not jogging at all, then you're power walking.

Do you know what your cholesterol levels are? :