Cholesterol and pregnancy

By September 6, 2011 - 9:49am

I am 23 yrs old and high on cholesterol. I am currently taking medication for my high cholesterol. Me and my husband resently decided to start trying to get pregnant. I don't know if I should try getting pregnant while I am on cholesterol. Or incase I do get pregnant should I stop taking my medication?

Hi Talat

Whether or not you can continue your medication will depend on how badly you need it and how the drug may interact with a growing baby. This is something you will need to discuss with your doctor, before you get pregnant. Let him/her know you are trying for pregnancy and check now, to see if there are possible problems that may occur.

It also may be a good idea to wait until you have healthy cholesterol levels before you try to get pregnant. This is something that you can also talk through with your doctor.

I wish you the best and please keep us updated!