Anemia

Anemia Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Cholesterol an inherited condition?

By alysiak

I just received the results of my recent blood tests and my cholesterol levels are higher than this time 3 years ago! My doctor was really surprised, considering the level of activity and fairly "clean" eating regimen I maintain (as I spend much of each year in training for one event or another). I eat organic, whole foods; consume mostly good fats (I admit a preference for real butter) and follow a plan that you'd probably find incredibly boring.

So, the only possible explanation is that I must have inherited my father's high cholesterol, making this a family trait. Oh, joy - that means my children have to be concerned.

Do you know athletic types who are dealing with high cholesterol in spite of their regimens?

petshopgirl

I would advise everyone to think long and hard before starting on stain drugs. Do your research first, as I did. You'll be surprised at how many side effects are associated with statins. Here's a good starting point: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/26/think-twic...

alysiak

I love the Mayo Clinic site. The following article validated all my efforts to date in following a cholesterol lowering regimen, so it does contain information that should benefit someone else out there in cyberland who might be interested. I just have to figure out what else I need to do!

Cholesterol: The best foods to lower your cholesterol and protect your heart
What's in? What's out? From one day to the next, you can't be sure. Find out the best foods to reduce your cholesterol and protect your heart.

alysiak

I admit a momentary obsession with finding information on how to deal with my cholesterol issue and found an interesting article on the Mayo Clinic site about statins, cholesterol lowering drugs, and the side effects. My doctor has me on Lavastatin, rather than Lipitor, and we'll see how well it has worked (or not) in another 3 months.

Meanwhile, here's the article:

Statins: Are these cholesterol-lowering drugs right for you?

Should you be on a statin? These cholesterol-lowering drugs have benefits and risks. Find out whether your risk factors for heart disease make you a good candidate for statin therapy.

Yes, my family has a history of high cholesterol, and it's evidently on my mom's side! I just got my numbers checked, and mine are slightly high, and I'm average height, weight, eat somewhat healthy and walk frequently. It is frustrating to "do all the right things" and still have somewhat high cholesterol!

So, it's good to learn that there may be a gene "causing" all of this!

alysiak

Well, here you go, how timely:

Cholesterol Associated Gene Variants Can Predict Threat of Heart Disease, Says Massachusetts General Hospital

http://empowher.com/news/08/03/19/cholesterol-associated-gene-variants-c...

Could you be suffering from anemia? :