Clotting blood while on birth control

By Anonymous April 23, 2015 - 4:02pm

I have been on the Nexplanon (subdermal implant ) for about 3 months now. I went from the pill, to the Paragard IUD to the Nexplanon. I got the implant in January after my body rejected the IUD. For the first month I was on the implant, I didn't bleed at all. The second and third month, I had spotting most of the time. Yesterday, I started to bleed a bit and today I'm bleeding quite a bit and I also notice some clotting when I wipe. Is this normal or is this something to be concerned about? I have taken a pregnancy test every week, 7 days apart and all tests have been negative.

You need to call your doctor and also read up on the side effects of your medication. 

From the Nexplanon website:

"The most common side effect of NEXPLANON is a change in your normal menstrual bleeding pattern. In studies, one out of ten women stopped using the implant because of an unfavorable change in their bleeding pattern. You may experience longer or shorter bleeding during your periods or have no bleeding at all. The time between periods may vary, and in between periods you may also have spotting.

Tell your health care provider right away if:

• http://www.nexplanon.com/static/images/gray-bullet.png); background-position: 2px 7px; background-repeat: no-repeat;">You think you may be pregnant
  • http://www.nexplanon.com/static/images/gray-bullet.png); background-position: 2px 7px; background-repeat: no-repeat;">Your menstrual bleeding is heavy and prolonged"

It is therefore advisable for you to call your doctor.