By Anonymous March 11, 2013 - 9:34am

hi, i had the coil fitted just over 2 years ago, i had no bleeding after a few months and the last few months i have been bleeding, i worried that my coil has moved and if it has what is the likeyhood of becoming pregnant, thanks for your help.

The coil (or IUD) has been fairly controversial in terms of it's side effects  (mood swings, lack of sexual desire, general feeling of being unwell, unexpected bleeding, perforation) but for many, it works very well and is about 98-99% effective.

But irregular bleeding that can happen without warning is one of the side effects - I think it's a good idea to make sure that your coil in still in place and that no changes have occurred. It's likely you're still protected from pregnancy but since this has happened recently, I think it's a good idea to be seen by your gynecologist.

Please keep us posted!