colonscopy fear

By August 27, 2013 - 8:41am

colon cancer runs in my family im scheduled for my first colon test next month and im so scared of the drugs they give you in my case there given me propofol what if they give me to much can you tell me how not to be scared

Hi sheildad4

The best way to allay your fears is to become as educated as possible about the procedure.

You will be given medication to put you to sleep - this is something that is good - you probably don't want to experience rectal/colon probing without something to ease the pain that could occur.

The procedure itself doesn't last long at all - 10-20 minutes. There is no pain afterward and you'll probably be very tired for the remainder of the day - make sure you have someone to take you home and spend the rest of the day and night in bed, resting. You will likely sleep a lot.

The medications used to put you to sleep can vary. Your doctor will explain them to you. You will be very carefully monitored while on these meds. In all likelihood you won't remember the procedure at all. The meds are generally very safe - you may be thinking about Michael Jackson's death due to propofol - remember this was a huge abuse of this medication.

Read more about a colonoscopy here (it's really not as bad as you think!): http://www.empowher.com/condition/colorectal-cancer

Colon Cancer