Combining The Pill with other birth control methods = effective?

By January 13, 2016 - 9:07pm

I'm considering going onto the Pill, and I just wanted to know the possibility of pregnancy if my partner (boyfriend) used male condoms and I used the Pill. I know that no method is 100% pregnancy-proof, but I want to eliminate the risk as much as possible, haha. This would be the first time for me having sex (I'm 22), and frankly I'm a bit paranoid about becoming pregnant. I want to take all preventative means possible.
Would it be a good idea to use a third method, such as a diaphragm? or would that cause friction against the condom and cause it to break? Also I read that the Pill can cause vaginal dryness, which when combined with the condom can cause it to break.

What would be the most effective combination of birth controls? Please, any advice would be great as I am still learning. Thank you!

Hi RK!

If you have both tested negative for sexually transmitted infections then the Pill is perfectly adequate. Using condoms as a back up is fine too. That combination will pretty much ensure you won't get pregnant . The Pill only causes dryness in some women, most do fine.

A third method is really unnecessary, nobody needs to do that. I understand and admire your taking responsibility for your reproductive choices but a third method is really stretching it!

But can certainly explore a third option. However, it's simply not necessary.

Hi Susan, thanks for replying! I sent you a private message.