complex reginal pain

My daughter has been diagnosed with CRPS, just before being diagnosed she stopped having her period it's been 2 yrs. now . Can CRPS affect the reproductive system ? My daughter is only 28 and wishes to have more children . Thank-you Marlene

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I'm sorry your daughter is having these difficulties and thank you for being her advocate!

CRPS 1 is caused by a previous injury that did not directly damage nerves. Most people with this CRPS have CRPS 1. People with direct nerve damage have CPRS 2. Do you know which kind your daughter has? Do you know what kind of trauma happened (accident, injury, illness) that may have a affected her nerves?

From our Encyclopedia:

The condition likely results from several factors. It may involve overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system, which directs automatic body functions that a person cannot control. Inflammation also may play a role in the disorder.

Risk Factors
Minor or severe trauma increases the risk of CRPS:

■Penetrating injury
■Crush injury
■An injection into the muscle
■Blood draws
■Diabetic neuropathy
■Multiple sclerosis

Anon, you and your daughter can read a lot more about her condition (as well as news reports, doctor advice, articles, treatments and the experiences of other people with CRPS) here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/complex-regional-pain-syndrome

I am unaware of why her periods would have stopped completely due to this diagnosis - I am not a health care practitioner. However, I did some research on a possible correlation between the menstrual cycle and CRPS 1 and found an interesting connection. You may have hit on something here. Such a correlation has been found in a fairly recent (2009) Dutch study. You can read about it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19942105

But being 28 and not having periods for two years is quite concerning. Your daughter needs to have a full evaluation done to see if the cause is - it may be nothing to do with her nerves or there may be some correlation.

The Dutch study is something your daughter needs to talk to her doctor about.

I'm sure she has discussed this problem with her doctor by now though. What have her doctor's said? I'd be really interested to hear.

Let me know if this has helped you and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Hi there, I was injured last march, surgery In nov, constant pain which was getting worst post op, periods have gone skew wiff and are all over the place, got everything on the Budapest diagnostic tool for CRPS, am looking into this as I've only just put 2 and 2 together that it must be related as my periods have been absolutely fine and regular since when I started, 12 ish maybe ? So I believe there to be a link but am trying to find an actual explanation for this, so your daughter is not alone luv x

Hi,Susan thank-you so much for your info. As for your questions , my daughter was in a motor vehicle accident in Sept.5 2006 , for which her knee was jammed inside the vehicle . She has under gone pain blocks as well , nothing has helped. To have any quality of life she is on strong pain meds. She has seen a doctor in regards to her period , he ran tests also , but the only answer he could give is that it could be from the stress of being diagnosed with CRPS. She now also wears a knee brace , has severe wasting in her knee , and it has now spread to her foot ,I just feel that it's strange that her periods stopped right around just before she was diagnosed. That is why I dont feel it is stress. Thank -You again Marlene

Hi again Marlene!

Thanks for your response and I'm glad I helped (even somewhat). I think your daughter needs to discuss the connection with her doctor, to see if something can be done. Will you keep us updated? I'd be interested to hear how things pan out. I do hope she can get her periods back,

Hi Susan , I also wanted to add that I have heard alot about stem cell's being used on dogs that had quite a remarkable response to their injury's , animals that were'nt able to walk , after the stem cell therapy they recovered . I'm hoping this might be something that could be used for people such as my daughter . Once again Thank-You Marlene

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome