Constant, extreme pain while 7 months pregnant

By October 21, 2015 - 5:53pm

Despite having visted the ER on three separate occassions, I continue to experience constant pain where I would normally have cramps, in my lower back, and sharp, shooting pains in my legs that have recently rendered me unable to walk. The pain is extremely intense and I'm running out of ideas with how to cope. The doctors each time I visited the ER told me to take extra strength Tylenol whenever I feel pain, but I've worked myself up to four doses a day just to be able to function. Have any of you also experienced this pain during pregnancy? If so, how did you cope with the pain?

Hi bonefidebroad

The pain you are talking about sounds like sciatic pain which can be excruciating. I had it myself when pregnant and would literally shriek out with the pain when it bolted down my back into my legs. Don't overdo the Tylenol, it's not good for your liver.

For me, I just stuck it out, there wasn't a whole lot I could do. I was pregnant with two other young babies and just had to suck it up. It wasn't good! But that's what I did as I was kind of stuck. But mine wasn't as bad as yours. If you can, put your feet up as much as possible and ease your way up when moving around.

It may not be sciatica, it may be something called pelvic girdle pain - more common in pregnancy and often mistaken for sciatica. Similar symptoms.

You can try-
Physical therapy

Physical therapy could really help - ask your doctor for a referral so you don't have to pay for it on your own and it should include exercise and massage.

I hope it stops, I understand how scary that pain can be. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is good and that you have a safe and easy birth!