Could i be pregnant ?

By February 21, 2009 - 2:20pm

My period is 3 days over due, the second day past my period my nipples were really sore. I've never missed a period in my life,only when I was pregnant with my now 2 year old daughter. I want to be pregnant, being trying for six months now. I scheduled an appointment with the DR on wednesday. I took an over the counter pg test came out negative. Could I still be pregnant

Hi Mara

Thanks for your question.

A negative pregnancy test is not always correct (conversely, a positive result is not usually wrong) so you may be pregnant. I know how hard it is to wait but if you want to try again, do it first thing in the morning when your urine is most strong (although these days the tests are so sensitive that it doesn't matter as much.)

Your symptoms are typical of early pregnancy but also typical of ovulation and your menstrual time. Maddening, isn't it?

Did you take a regular test or a digital one? I'd advise you to take a digital one - the lines on the regular tests are sometimes hard to read. I took a test once and it was negative. I was so disappointed. A few hours later I remembered I had not thrown the stick away and I took another look at it - still negative. As I raised my hand carrying it to the trash, it caught the light and I could have sworn I saw a second line! Wishful thinking?!

I showed it to my husband later and he also saw the tiniest faintest line that we really had to squint and hold to the light to see.

Next morning I took another test and two clear lines came straight away!

Even a day can make a difference in terms of how strong your pregnancy hormones can be.

My advice - try a digital test tomorrow.

And my only other request is that you come back and tell us the final result! Good luck, I'm crossing my fingers that you get a big old PREGNANT sign or two crispy clear double lines!

Sore breasts and sore nipples are common in pre and post ovulation. I know my breasts are very sensitive when it comes to my monthly friend.

Since you are only 3 days overdue from your period start date, I would obtain a pregnancy test to obtain a quick and easy answer to your impending question. Periods are very common to be delayed a few days.

Periods are also common to be delayed due to stress or in your case the over excitement to become pregnant. I think your best chance to know for sure would be to obtain a pregnancy test to get a quick answer. I hope this helps and good luck....let us know the outcome..