Could I be pregnant?

By January 18, 2010 - 9:14am

Ok so I'm freaking out cause I'm 14 and I think I might be pregnant. I am on the bc pill so my periods are pretty regular I always skip the reminder pills but always remember to take the regular pills when needed. I'm not overly picky about it be at the exact same time everyday, I usually just take it sometime in the morning. My periods have been regular for over a year now and they usually start the second or third day into my reminder pills and I'm on the third day and already getting paranoid that I might be pregnant. My boyfriend and I had sexual intercorse on the morning of 1/9/10 and the last pill I had taken was the one for 1/8/10. We were staying at a friends house and I didn't know I was staying all weekend so I didn't bother to bring my pills. On the morning of 1/9/10 we had sex without a condom but he pulled out right before climax. I wasn't too worried. The next morning, 1/10/10, we had sex again without a condom but that only lasted about two mins before we decided that it was a stupid idea. I currently am sick, I have a throat pain and my throat is swollen. I mention this because they say illness can effect a period. I'm also under stress but it's not too much more then normal. I shouldve started my period yesterday morning or this morning but I didn't. My boyfriend spent the night here 1/16/10 and we had sex a few times before he went home. One of the times the condom broke and I started my reminder pills on 1/15/10. What are the chances I'm pregnant from the first case? What are my chances from the second case?

Dear worried and unsure

It seems like you had a bad week in terms of unprotected sex and broken condoms!

We cannot give you statistical chances of pregnancy because the variables are so different with each woman but we can tell you that anytime you have unprotected sex (even with withdrawal/"pulling out") you raise your risk of pregnancy because missing two pills in a row can increase your risk of ovulation.

If you usually get your period on the second or third day into your reminder pill time then since today is day three, don't worry yet. I know that's easy to say and hard to do (you do NOT want to get pregnant now or for several more years!) but just hang on. I think it's safe to say you're not in a high risk category but your risk has been raised and unfortunately we can't tell you that there is no way you're pregnant. I suspect you'll get your period soon but do know that there is a chance of pregnancy - there always is, with unprotected sex.

One thing you have to do is abstain from sex if you forget your pills. Don't use the "pull-out" method thinking that's safe because it's not safe for many women. Pre-ejaculate fluids can contain sperm that can impregnate. If you forget pills and don't have condoms - do not have sex; period. It's not worth feeling how you are feeling now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get your period very soon! Will you update us when you know more?

I got my period today so the worry about the completely unprotected sex but I'm still worried about the condom that broke. Any imput?

(reply to worried.and.unsure)

Since you got your period today, you are not pregnant, period. Even though the episode with the condom was just a few days ago, it still means that you did not get pregnant from that, either.

I'm glad that you are on birth control, and that you work hard to stay regular on it. And I'm very glad then when you don't have your pills with you, you use another form of birth control. Keep this up, and you should avoid any possibility of pregnancy.

Generally, when a woman misses one pill, she should take it as soon as she remembers it -- even if it is the next day (in other words, taking two at once.) If she misses two pills, she should take two for two days in a row. In both cases, most likely you are still protected from pregnancy. Using the condom is just more insurance for that.

Take care, and keep up the good work. So glad you got your period and you can stop the worry!