Could I be pregnant?

By September 8, 2010 - 8:44am

The beginning of my last cycle was August 12th (28 day cycle) had unprotected sex 8/22 and 8/25 and I've been feeling pms cramps for almost 2 weeks now. I took a pregnancy test 9/6th (3 days before missed period) and it was negative. My period is due tomorrow 9/9! I had a miscarriage and D & C done in mid June. Could I be pregnant? Why would I be cramping, lower back pains and for the last 2 days slightly constipated?

Hi mimi57,

I'm sorry to read you had a miscarriage a few months ago. I hope you have healed well, both physically and emotionally.

You had unprotected sex around the average time of ovulation for someone with a regular cycle such as yours, so pregnancy may be a possibility. However, you are not technically late yet and even though you had a negative pregnancy test, it may not have been quite as accurate as one taken today - although most are very accurate three days before a period is expected. Your symptoms could be pregnancy or PMS - both are very alike.

Give yourself another couple of days - your period is probably on it's way (based on the pregnancy test) but if it doesn't come, feel free to take another .

Will you update us? Good luck - I hope you get the answer you want!

Thank you for your response. The anticipation of waiting one or 2 more days was killing me, So......I retested about an hour or so ago and there was a very faint line making it a plus sign ( positive pregnancy test) :) Should I retest in a few days to see if the line gets darker?

HERWriter Guide (reply to mimi57)

Well I see a smiley face :) so I assume this is good news?! Yay!

You can test tomorrow again if you want confirmation but unless you took the test incorrectly (not likely) it looks like you are pregnant! It does not matter if the line is faint or dark - once you have that second line, you're all aboard to Babyville!

Your line will probably get darker so if you want a second jump for joy (I tested several times even though I knew I was pregnant, I loved the feeling!) take another. One of my lines was so faint, it showed negative until I went to throw it away and I thought I saw the faintest of lines. I tested 6 hours later and it was much darker.

Congratulations! Keep us posted on how things are going!

My best,

Good morning,

So I went to my Dr.s appt yesterday 9/9 and the pregnancy test came out negative! They drew blood and I won't get those back for a few days. I had an ultrasound done and nothing was seen being that if I am pregnant I would only be 4 weeks and 2 days today. Why would I have gotten a postive PT at home and negative at Dr.s office?

HERWriter Guide (reply to mimi57)

Hi mimi57

I'm so sorry your doctor's test was negative. A false positive on a pregnancy test is very rare because to be positive, it has to pick up on the hCG hormone (also known as the pregnancy hormone) - this is not in a woman's body unless she is pregnant or in the first week or so after a miscarriage or birth. You must be very disappointed. Are you absolutely sure you saw that faint double line?

Good morning,
So I just got my blood results back this morning and it's positive! I guess they did the urine test incorrectly at the Dr.'s office (that's crazy!) I thought I was losing it there for a minute. I even bought a digital PT over the weekend which further confirmed that I was pregnant!

HERWriter Guide (reply to mimi57)

Hi Mimi

Excellent Monday update!

You know - I really did think you were pregnant - a false positive on your home pregnancy test is really rare (pretty much impossible, really)! What a mess at the doctor's office, they need to be a bit more careful of how they conduct tests - what if you went to a wedding over the weekend and had lots of wine?

Anyway, I am really happy that you are pregnant. I hope you have a wonderful 9 months and stay in touch with us!

Congrats again!