Could I have harmed my unborn baby by taking cold medicine before I found out i was pregnant?

I just found out that Im pregnant today. Im totally excited but im so worried at the same time b/c I have had a bad cold these past few days and have been taking nightquil and dayquil. i stopped it today when i found out. I went in for a blood test this morning and wont get results till monday and then they'll get me in for a 1st appt. Could i have harmed my unborn child in any way? i did not use more then directed, but i've stopped taking anything now b/c i dont want to jeapardize anything and everyones confusing me saying "dont take that" "you cant take this" i dont know what is safe and what is not. Please help im so worried.

Dear Anon

Congrats on your pregnancy! It's very doubtful you have harmed your baby but it's best to limit your medications for now. Nyquil has a high level of alcohol in it and alcohol needs to be completely avoided, especially in the first trimester (also, don't take Ibuprofin (eg. Advil) in pregnancy).

Don't worry about it, if you are very newly pregnant you'll be fine! People will tell you all sorts of "do's" and don'ts" in pregnancy and it's best to ignore most of it and inform yourself through doing your own reading and research.