Could I possibly be pregnant? Please help...

I'm twenty years old and for the last several months (I think since February or March) my period has been very regular - every 28 days. Before that, I'm not sure, as I wasn't having sex at all, so I didn't need to check the dates or worry about when I was due.

First of all, I did not have unprotected sex - I had a 'fling' with someone I'm not likely to end up in a relationship with. We had sex four times, using a condom each time. I'm pretty much 100% certain of this - although, could there be a small chance that a condom could have split and neither of us noticed? This was around two weeks before my period was due. Surely one of us would have noticed if there had been a problem with a condom.

I haven't had any symptons out of the ordinary, except feeling unusually happy for no reason most of last week, which was a good thing. A few days before I was due, I began to get the normal signs that my period was about to come - slight aching in my breasts and cramps-that-weren't-quite-cramps, and slightly elevated body temperature, which I'm still getting. However, my period was due yesterday. I haven't been late in months, and I'm worrying myself silly that I'm pregnant - which probably isn't helping, from what I've heard about stress delaying periods even more.

I'm aware that this is probably a ridiculous question and that I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm so frightened. I just need some reassurance. Please help?

Dear Anon

Well, you are correct on a lot of things. Stress can and does change one's menstrual cycle. And you are only a day late (I am assuming you are on day 29 now which isn't a cause for worry yet!) so don't panic!

However, having sex two weeks into your cycle is likely around your ovulation time so it can be risky. You used condoms on all four times you had sex (good for you!) and condoms are very effective against pregnancy (up to 98% effective when used perfectly, every time) and many STDs/STIs.

But all protection is only as good as the person using it. So it may not have been on properly or it may have broken. It's always a good idea to check the condom after sex. Your partner may or may not tell you if it broke. Not all men do.

But assuming this didn't happen, your likelihood of pregnancy is very low. To ease your mind, you can go ahead and take a pregnancy test now, as you are far enough in your cycle for it to give you an accurate response. While there is always a risk of pregnancy, you are far more likely to get a negative result, than a positive, based on what you have said. So although it's easy to panic and imagine all sorts of things (been there!), there is no need to stress just yet.

Will you update us?