Could use sincere advice.

By June 7, 2011 - 8:41am

My last cycle was from May 4th-9th. I had sexual intercourse on the 14th, and also took Next Choice EC the next day. I got (what I believe to be) breakthrough bleeding from the 20th-25th. I then had sex (pull-out method) on June 1st. I took 2 pregnancy tests: one on June 2nd (negative) and another on the 7th (negative). I expected my period around the 5th of June, but feel more sick to my stomach and tired all the time instead of PMS. Is there chance of pregnancy, or late period do to BTB?

Do I count The btb that I experienced as the start of a new cycle?

HERWriter Guide (reply to brooklynhall)

Hi again

We get asked that quite a lot and the truth is it's too hard to say. Since that kind of bleeding is due to the hormones ingested by EC rather than a menstrual period, it's not a "period". However, your next period is not something you can predict (date-wise).

Plan B can interfere with the next menstrual cycle due to the fact that it can cause breakthrough bleeding (side effect) but gets back on track after the next cycle.

If you took a pregnancy test today and it's negative, it's not likely that you are pregnant, unless you got pregnant if you did not use the pull-out method correctly or you ovulated, in which case it's too early to tell.

For now, make sure you only have protected sex (because Plan B is for emergencies only and we see women using it all time time as birth control which is not what it is for and it's nowhere near as protective as condoms, the Pill or other legitimate methods of birth control) and if you do not get your period within four weeks of your last bleeding, test again.

Since you currently do not know when you are ovulating, don't use the pull-out method at all until you get your period.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

Thank you for the response! I know believe that I may have a type of ovarian cyst thats flaring up (hopefully before my period!). For the past week I've felt tired, nausea at random times during the day without getting sick, sore breasts, swollen/bloated stomach, and also harsh lower right abdominal pain that can get severe at times. Any thoughts about this being an indicator for an upcoming menstrual cycle? Or the reason I was thinking that I was having pregnancy symptoms?

HERWriter Guide (reply to brooklynhall)

Hi again brooklynhall

Generally, PMS would not include hard and severe pain and if you were pregnant, you would be in the earliest stages so that kind of pain would be unusual.

However, it wouldn't be unusual for a cyst and they can crop up at this time in your cycle so getting that explored is a good idea.

As to whether or not all these means you are pregnant - we just cannot answer that, I'm sorry. Only a pregnancy test can so that and so far, all inmdicators show you are not pregnant. However, you should test again in a few weeks. PMS and early pregnancy symptoms are very similar.