Could Your Skinny Jeans Be a Threat to Your Health?

By May 29, 2009 - 8:15pm

Our society puts so much pressure on finding ways to look skinny and the fashion industry has supported an unhealthy view of our bodies by imposing a paradigm of "a perfect size". Women are followers of fashion and skinny jeans have found their way into what we believe to be trendy.

But, according to the Mayo Clinic, "meralgia paresthetica" is a health condition that is characterized by the tingling, numbness, and the burning pain that occurs in the outer part of your thigh. Many women wearing skinny jeans have reported these symptoms, mostly over weight women who insist on wearing a style of pants which is designed for very slim women.

The constant pressure put on the thighs by the skin-tight denim cuts off the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, which is susceptible to compression. In more severe cases of meralgia paresthetica, women will also notice a patch of skin that is sensitive to the touch and can sometimes be painful.

Doctors suggest medications that are used to treat neurogenic pain, such as anti-depressant or anti-seizure medications to alleviate the symptoms and in those cases where pain is more severe surgical intervention have been suggested.

I think smart women who experience these symptoms as a result of wearing skinny jeans, should seriously consider a different style! Please, do not run to get drugs for those symptoms which will disappear by eliminating the cause!

I found this post while searching for articles about this whole "skinny jean" craze. I'm the mom of a 7 year old who is fairly protected from the trends of modern society and still she wants skinny jeans. She's never been overweight, but also has never-even as a baby-been able to fit into most jeans, let alone skinny ones. Being active, she really needs a few pair of good jeans, and it really saddens me that it is so difficult to find a pair for my strong, healthy girl. So, at 7 she is already feeling pressure from the outside to be "skinny".

I'm sorry your little girl is feeling pressure (and at this ridiculously young age!).

My girls are 5 and 6 and don't even know what skinny jeans are! To be honest, they don't even know what's trendy or in "fashion"; they just like cute clothes in bright colors.

Take your daughter to Target, Gap, and Children's Place and you'll find tons of clothes that have nothing to do with trends. Just nice, well made clothes that look good. I have never seen skinny jeans for kids this young, although I am sure they are around.

There are lots of nice boot cut jeans that look good on all shapes or she could stick to really cool corduroys in great colors and patterns.

Skirts and dresses with funky tights are also a huge hit in our house! (Our girls prefer this to pants in general but they have some lovely cords and jeans too, if only a few). Leggings and tunics are also great for kids of all shapes. There are so many alternatives to jeans or skinny jeans!

I do hope you find some nice things for her to wear and I do hope she remains at least somewhat protected for all this trendy (and far too adult) rubbish as long as possible! Our girls are being targeted so early anymore but it's up to us to keep it all in it's place as best we can.

I hope she has a great school year!

I am so laughing at the phrase "surgical intervention has been suggested." Is it to separate the woman from her too-tight jeans, lol?

I agree with the above posters, this is really interesting. I have a pair of "skinny jeans" but instead of being too tight around my thighs, the tightest part is around my waist. (Of course, the "waist" has fallen so far down these days that they are closer to the "hip huggers" of my own youth than anything).

I'm not sure why it's our jeans that really, truly seem to define for us our skinny days and our fat days. But it seems like people are confusing their skinny jeans with skin-tight jeans. Skinny jeans are the jeans you fit into when you're at your leanest and most fit. Skin-tight jeans, in my humble opinion, just don't look good regardless of your size and shape. (And the suffering involved just makes them worse!)

Women have been 'suffering for fashion' for a very long time - thousands of years. Egyptian and Roman women often went to great (and painful) lengths for whatever was considered a mark of beauty at the time and remember those Victorian corsets? Those women could barely move... and fainted - a lot!

I have one pair of skinnies that I wear, I have long, lean legs so they work for me but they are low-riders and do my waistline NO favors so I have to wear a longer top over them lest I frighten someone!

I wouldn't in a million years wear short shorts or a cutoff top. At 39 I'd look ridiculous. Women don't have to wear granny-clothes but we all need to dress for our age and body types or we look like we are desperately clinging to our teen years - and possibly harming ourselves!

I like fashion a lot but usually find something to wear that I love that also feels good.

And some day I'll put away the 3 and 4 inch heels but I'm not ready to yet :)

This is a really interesting share. I am a gal that has larger thighs and most jeans are tighter in the thigh area. I am not overweight but I certainly have to be selective when purchasing jeans. Funny enough, I tend to have a forever bruise on my outer thigh on one leg and could never figure out why it was there and I wonder if this may be a reason.

I think I will try and not wear jeans for several weeks and see if the bruise goes away. Thanks for the information.