Q: 

Cramping 2 1/2 weeks after plan b....

By March 21, 2011 - 1:04pm

I took plan b after unprotected sex with my husband 2 1/2 weeks ago, exaclty on my most fertile day (didnt realize that until later). Had possibly breakthrough bleeding one week after that, one week before my expected period. Now I'm 5 days late of my scheduled period and have been having minor cramping (which i rarely if ever get regularly) and slight nausea. Whenever I did have any cramping before AF it only lasted one day tops! Any imput as to what could be causeing the cramping?

Anonymous

I need advice asap!! On tuesday 12th i had sex and my bf cummed in me, i took the plan B on the same day then on saturday 16th the same thing happened and i took another plan B. I am used to taking plan B but not twice in a week or twice in a month. I was supposed to have my period on 20th but i got some spotting the very next day i took the 2nd plan B which is sunday the 17th. It stopped and then on tuesday 19th i started having my normal period and i had severe cramps. But i am really worried since it's the 25th today and my period has not stopped till now. And the bleeding has not even reduced it is still the same as day 1 of my period. My lower abdomen is aching i feel like my uterus is gonna collapse at any time. Is it normal to experience this after taking 2 ipills in a week or i should be worried??

Hello Anon
With all the bleeding going on, you're not pregnant. A test can confirm this for you.
You are using emergency birth control as regular birth control so these serious side effects are not uncommon.
If you have further concerns, call your doctor and he/she can help you further.

Anonymous

I had unprotected sex a day after my period. My boyfriend did release in me and I took the plan B pill within 6 hours. I didn't have any symptoms after but after a few days. I started cramping. It is now 3 weeks and I'm still cramping. I'm due to start my period again on October 23rd. Is this normal?

Hi, I am having this exact same situation right now. Also had sex and took plan B the day after my period. I had some very light bleeding a few days after I took the pill, lasting maybe three days. Almost exactly a week later I started feeling a dull ache in my lower abdomen that has continued for 4 days now. Generally the pain is mild but is much worse when I walk or move around a lot.

I went to the Dr today (about 11 days after sex/taking plan b and about 4 days after pain started). They did bloodwork, urinalysis, xray, and pelvic exam and swabs. Everything came back normal but they prescribed an antibiotic just in case and gave me a referral for a CT scan to use in a few days if the antibiotics dont do the trick. They said CT scan was mainly to check for cysts as those won't show on an X-ray.

Was there any resolution for you? I'm still a little worried as the pain has persisted for days and doesn't seem to be getting better.

Note: I have used Plan B previously and did experience bleeding in the past (never pregnancy related), but NEVER had this sort of pain and cramping. It does not feel like menstrual pain. It feels more like severe condtipation or kidney stones or something like that.

It's about 2 weeks since my last period & maybe 1.5 weeks since taking plan b pill. I have an ache in my stomach & lower abdomin that is bothering me. My whole stomach feels full & has an uncomfortable feeling to it. I also thought it could be constipation so I started to drink more water. It hasn't gone away!

It's been a few weeks since my first comment about this and just wanted to give an update in light of your reply in case it helps you at all. I never went in for the CT Scan but I had an X-ray done at an urgent care. The X-ray actually showed a severe fecal blockage indicating constipation, so it turns out that's what it was for me.

I will say that I've never had constipation that bad before in my life and it lasted over a week before I saw any improvement at all. I do think the plan B may have been the culprit as some of what I've read online does list possible side effects of constipation (though I can't confirm the reliability of the sources and I'm not a doctor).

If you think yours might also be bad constipation I would highly recommend eating one or two cups of yogurt a day. I ate yogurt, granola, and fruit regularly for about a week and it definitely helped (I was able to use the restroom after every time I ate it, and even though the constipation took a while to clear up completely, the daily bowel movements after eating the yogurt helped relieve some of the pain little by little).

Hope this helps and hope you feel better!

Anonymous

Thank you. I've taken 2 home pregnancy tests over the past days and both say negative. I have taken 8 from the first time of unprotected and all say negative. So I'm guessing my anxiety and the pill is just playing up.

Anonymous

I had unprotected sex the day after my period. He did not cum inside but am afraid of pre cum. I got my periods on time. We had unprotected sex again, I took the morning after pill. I'm 3 days late for my period. I feel nauseous. But I do suffer from anxiety.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, breast pain, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.
The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. We cannot predict this for our readers in terms of length of delays. Each women is different. Periods should get back to normal by the second cycle after.

Anonymous

I do not have a response to your problem, but I have a question and couldn't figure out how to post. I started my period June 3rd and took plan b around June 10th. It is now July 9th, I have yet to have my period and I'm showing side effects like my boobs are sore and I'm cramping and feel nauseous. Are these from the plan b or do you think I am pregnant?