Cramping 2 1/2 weeks after plan b....

By CazAnne March 21, 2011 - 1:04pm

I took plan b after unprotected sex with my husband 2 1/2 weeks ago, exaclty on my most fertile day (didnt realize that until later). Had possibly breakthrough bleeding one week after that, one week before my expected period. Now I'm 5 days late of my scheduled period and have been having minor cramping (which i rarely if ever get regularly) and slight nausea. Whenever I did have any cramping before AF it only lasted one day tops! Any imput as to what could be causeing the cramping?

Anonymous

Hi. I noticed that questions are just recently posted and so i decided to ask this. My period on april was suposed to fall on the 1st or 2nd week. But it came on the 17th day (unusual but still i felt safe for not having sex prior to that).. on april 25th and 26th, i had unprotected sex and took MAP after 48 hrs. 1week later, i had dis dark brown discharge that lasted 3 days and soked 1 napkin on the 2nd say. Now im experiencing cramps and lower back pain for almost a week. And i am 4days delayed for my period. Please help me clarify wats hapening. Thank u.

Anonymous

Hi! I was hoping to get another opinion.. I had unprotected sex on April 30th. He was not close to coming and he was only in me for like 15 seconds. I was still worried about Pre ejaculation fluid though and I found out it happened on one of my fertile days so I took plan b 12 hours later. I had bleeding six days later like a normal period and it lasted for seven days. However, this was two weeks before my scheduled period (which is tomorrow or so) for a couple days now I have been experiencing cramping, back pain, slight nausea, and slight breast pain. I usually get cramps and back pain before and during a period, but not the other symptoms! I called the plan b hotline for more information and they say the bleeding is just a side effect of plan b and I should be expecting my period this month. But I've read otherwise on some of these sites! Some women had the bleeding two weeks early and no period until the next month! Does anyone have any experience with this? Or can tell me my chances of being pregnant? I would really appreciate it!

Hi. I have the same situation with u. But in my case, im 4 days delayed from the last month period. I also took the morning after pill then a week after, i had dis brown discharges that lasted 2 days. And now my my cramping is getting worst. Im afraid to do pregnancy test. I hooe someone could help us. :(

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Emergency contraceptives can cause your next monthly period to start earlier or later than expected. Since you had brown vaginal discharge after taking the pill, no need to take a pregnancy test yet.

If you do not get a period at all, or are concerned, then take a test and contact your gynecologist.

Regards,

I found the first reply to my post very helpful! I actually just took a pregnancy test today. Negative! But it is only 3 weeks after intercourse and I'm not sure if that is too early. I plan on taking another at the end of the week. I am especially nervous because my breast have been aching more (although they are not swollen) and I have developed a headache that has lasted these past couple of days. Can that be because of plan b? I'm not sure! Hopefully the wait will end soon!

The information provided by calling the Plan B hotline is correct.
The bleeding was caused by the pill and confirms that you are not pregnant.

Plan B has a reported side effect of causing changes to the menstrual cycle. The next monthly period could start earlier or later than expected. Menstrual flow might be lighter or heavier than normal. This change lasts for only one menstrual cycle.

If you have any further concerns, please talk with your doctor.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thank you so much! I was just worried because when I called they said it was just my body's reaction to the pill, but when I asked I verify if the blood was coming from the uterine wall they wouldn't say yes or no! It was weird because where else would it come from?
Thanks again!

Anonymous

Hi, I took plan b on May 2, about 12 hours after "intercourse". My partner did not ejaculate since we stopped when we realized we were out of condoms. However, when i checked my app it said that i was fertile from MAY 1 to MAY 5 with ovulating on the 4th. So we decided to take plan b to be safe concerned about precm. I have been experiencing cramps around my pelvis since May 8th or so and swollen breast since last week. I also am a little blotted. My period is due today, May 18th, and I still have not gotten it. I usually get cramps and swollen breast and some blotting when I'm PMSing but Im concerned. My partner thinks I am fine because at worst, it was just precm to chances are slight and plus i took plan b within the 24 hours which reduces the chances even more. Should I be concerned?

No need to be concerned yet. Since your symptoms match with your usual PMS, you took Plan B early and it might only have been pre ejaculate fluid, which itself doesn't contain sperm, there was little to no risk for pregnancy.

Do try to relax. If you have no bleeding by May 23, then take a home pregnancy test.

Regards,

So it's normal for plan B to be giving me these symptoms for so long with no period? I usually get the symptoms for a week when I'm PMSing and I'm just concerned since it has been a lil longer this time. Thanks for your advice :)