cramping after plan b

By Anonymous December 10, 2014 - 7:36pm

hi. i had unprotected sex on the 14th of November, i took plan b the very next day. today is the 10th of december but i havent seen my period. my breast is heavy (as always before i see my period), i always get my period the last week of each month. i have been cramping and having lower back pain

Thank you for visiting the EmpowHER community and sharing your question. What you are experiencing is completely normal.

The most common side effect of an emergency contraceptive is changing the woman’s cycle. This can be scary, particularly if it causes a late period on someone who is concerned about being pregnant. Here is a list of its side effects:

Side effects may include changes in your period, nausea, lower abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, dizziness and breast tenderness. Some women may have changes in their period, a heavier or lighter next period, or a period that is early or late.

Anon, the medicine in these pills change your hormones and can affect your menstrual cycle for a couple of months. I do not find it at all surprising that your cycle is still a bit off. If you took the medicine correctly (which sounds like you did) your risk is very low. The unfortunate thing is that it is going to take a couple of months before your menses is back on track.

If you don't get your period soon or feel that you may be pregnant then take a pregnancy test. Your risk is low but there is still a risk that you could be pregnant.