ask: crestor and lactose intolerance

I noticed that crestor contains lactose. I am lactose intollerant. Should I not take this medication? I have noticed that since starting it I have been feeling nauseous. Is that from the lactose in the drug?

Crestor is used to lower cholesterol and has many side effects:

•Muscle pain
•Abdominal pain

Some of the symptoms of lactose intolerance are identical:

Abdominal rumbling sounds
Loose stools

You can read more on our Lactose Intolerance page here:

I do know that bowel problems are very common for those who are lactose intolerance. If your only issue is nausea, it may be the medication.

Unfortunately, Lipitor contains lactose too, I think most of these meds do.

What other methods are you using to lower your cholesterol? Diet, exercise etc?
Here is a great thread with lots of advice and suggestions that I think you should take a look at : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/life-insurance-exam-how-lower-chol...

And also try this : http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/10/26/pomegranate-juice-nat...

Can you ask your doctor if this medication is really necessary? Or have her/him suggest an alternative that does not contain lactose? Is nausea remains the "only" side effect (I say "only" because nausea is an awful think to deal with) would you be ok continuing it?

Please tell me what you think of the information given above and help answer the questions we have for you!

Lactose Intolerance

Lactose Intolerance Guide

Christine Jeffries

Are you lactose intolerant?: