Is Cryotherapy for the body a way to improve older skin?

By May 25, 2011 - 4:49pm

I recently picked up a brochure about Whole Body Cryotherapy- I have previously had cryotherapy for spot treatments, but never knew it could be used for the overall benefit of the skin. I also read it can help with depression and makes people feel great! Is there a real benefit or is it all hype?

I have anxiety and I have been going to US Cryotherapy in Roseville Ca. And I have stop using Ativan which is my prescription to treat my disorder..

While the above mentioned are forms of cryotherapy, what you are referring to is WBC - whole body cryotherapy - which is very popular in Europe and has now been introduced by US Cryotherapy in the US. Check out the website www.uscryotherapy.com. The benefits of WBC are widely published in Europe. US Cryotherapy has the first WBC chamber in the US in Roseville, CA. Chamber treatments are used for better health and faster recovery from injury in medical clinics, sports training centers and rehabilitation clinics across Europe, and will become prevalent in the US over the next few years. And, to answer your question, yes, there have been claims regarding improved skin, sleep, phycological state, as well as faster recovery from injury as well as chronic pain due to inflammatory conditions. Dr.Oz did a review of WBC in January and gave the thumbs up as a treatment.

An internet search of credible medical websites revealed the same information that cryotherapy, also called cryosurgery, cryoablation or targeted cryoablation therapy, refers to the application of extreme cold to destroy diseased tissue, including cancer cells. It is used to destroy skin tumors, precancerous skin moles, nodules, skin tags or unsightly freckles. It also has been used to destroy retinoblastomas, a childhood cancer of the retina, prostate, liver and cervical cancer, especially if surgery is not possible. Currently, research is being done to determine the effectiveness of cryotherapy for tumors of the bone, brain, kidney, lung and spine. Researchers are also evaluating its usefulness in freezing and shrinking benign breast lumps, called fibroadenomas.
Some medical professionals, particularly those who specialize in sports medicine, use the term cryotherapy to refer to the application of cold to muscles and joints that are sore or fatigued after physical exertion. Cryotherapy is used to treat conditions that involve irritation of an isolated nerves. I found nothing about its use to treat aging skin or depression.