Cycling/Spinning Class: Does it Cause any Damage to Genitalia?

I have been taking a cycling/spinning class, and anyone who has ridden a bike knows that your "sit bones" can ache for a few days afterwards.

I started wondering if I am doing any long-term damage to my genital region by being on a bike? Is there any research on this? Is it the same for men and women?

Anonymous

I bought a spin bike last week and each time I use it for even just 10 minutes I bleed like I have a period. I don't get a period anymore from my bc and I went to the doctor and they couldn't find anything. Could the bike or seat be ripping something inside and causing me to bleed?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

That is highly unlikely unless the bike seat is faulty. And even then you'd certainly feel some kind of internal ripping. There would also be outside damage to the genital area.

Stay off the bike for a while and see what happens. If you resume the bike and bleed again, see your doctor and get the bike looked into. However, it's more likely that your hormones are causing this bleeding - perhaps new exercise has changed your body chemistry.

Anonymous

Hello

I have done spinning for the first time for 45 min and after that next day I have spotted blood clot in continuously in small amount for 3 days but I am sure its not period because only blood clot in dark brown color are their I consulted to my doctor he told me stop spinning go for normal exercise But I love to do spinning can you suggest me what should I do or this symptoms are normal because I am overweight and suddenly start spinning so is this a reason plz suggest me.

Anonymous

So Susan it's been a week since I got my injury and it's no longer swollen or discolored or uncomfortable. But, there's a sort of knot I can feelsort of inside the lip? Hard to explain but it's got a big knot that just seems to be getting bigger. I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad the injuries have healed and are no longer painful.

Is the knot painful? It may be part of the original injury but if it hasn't subsided in the next week, a visit to the doctor is likely warranted.

Sorry this has caused you so much trouble - who would have thought? Keep us posted.

Best to you,

Anonymous

I'm new to biking. On the first day of getting my new bike my hand slipped off the handle bar and I hit my left vaginal lip on the bar of my bike very hard. At first, it didn't hurt. But about an hour later it became very swollen and extremely painful. I iced it for about an hour and went to bed and this mornin I woke up and the swelling has gone down but not by much. Should I be worried? What can I do to make the swelling go away?

Keep icing and keep off the bike while you heal - it could be several days. Consider getting a well padded seat or wear a sanitary napkin when you bike.

Anonymous

I haven't really seen any one address this issue, but I took my first spin class today. The seat was pretty much unbearable. However, after class there was two strips of blood in my underwear, and those locations on me now sting to the point of almost crying. The vulval vestibule is the worst.. not positive if the blood is from that or not.. has that happened before to any one? suggestions on pain relief?

Anonymous

I recently had a bad bike fall and injured my vagina. It swelled and was so black on my right butt cheek, I thought I was an alien. I also have a hard knot on my right labia misora area near the perineum and also feels like it is just a swelling but could it be something worse and should I go to the doctor?

You may have damaged a bone or other area - your vagina is inside your body - a kind of tunnel that leads to your cervix; is this the area you mean? Or do you mean external injuries? If you don't see improvement within the next few days, seeing a doctor is a good idea.

~Susan

Fitness

Fitness Guide

Christine Jeffries