Delayed Menstrual Period

By January 19, 2015 - 4:58pm

I had unprotected sex with my fiancee on 4th Jan around 1.30am and she took an emegency contraceptive immediately we were done and had the second dosage at about 7.00pm that evening. By my calculations it must be either 1st or 2nd day after her ovulation(all things been equal). Her last Menstrual period ended on the 22nd December.2014. And even till now she hasn't seen her menses.
Could it be that the EC didn't work? Or the alteration has been caused because we had administered a single pill(not the two pill) on the 25th of Dec when we were not sure if the condom broke or not.

We conducted a Home pregnancy test on the 18th Jan which states negative.
What is your advice on what we should do?

Thank You Susan. I was informed of the trace of the menses yesterday and today there was heavy flow and still heavy. No much pains though. But heavier than before.
Hope all is in other as I have read some of your previous reaponses that there is every possibility of heavy flow so we were prepared for it as she goes to work.

Hi Hisbee

Thanks for your post.

Did your fiancee not take the second pill on the 25th or was it a single dose? If she forgot to take the second dose, the medication may not have worked. If it was a single dose, then it likely worked. 

Taking these medications twice in a month is not a good idea. It adds a huge dose of hormones to the body and thus disrupts the natural cycle. Her period may be delayed as a result. 

If she had two negative tests on the 18th Jan with her last period around mid Dec, then her odds of being pregnant or extremely low. 

It may take another week to two for her to get back to normal.