Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

denied health insuance - suffering from seizures

By Anonymous September 29, 2010 - 10:45am
Rate This

Hello, I am in my late 20's and have been denied health coverage due to the fact I suffer from seizures. I am self-employed, not sure if that will make a difference when it come to health insurance, but thought I would mention it. What can I do? Is there anyone else out there in my shoes that can advise me on where to get health coverage? Are there treatment options for a woman like me?

Add a Comment3 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Anon - The Arizona Medicaid program has eligibility requirements that include an income limitation, and whether you are in medical need or not you can't qualify for the program if your income, and assets, are too high.

The following link provides information about the program, and has an online application link too. http://www.azahcccs.gov/applicants/application/AcuteCare.aspx

This page lists the requirements for adults without children: http://www.azahcccs.gov/applicants/categories/adults.aspx#Who_Can_Receive_Services

It can take 30-45 days for an application to be processed. Good luck to you, and we hope this helps ease some of your anxiety. Pat

September 29, 2010 - 5:56pm
HERWriter Guide

Hi Anonymous

Thanks for your question and welcome!

I'm so sorry you are facing denial of coverage due to a pre-existing condition. This has been going on a lot (and for a long time) in America.

There are new regulations coming into play in terms of patient rights and pre-existing conditions. As of this week, the new laws prevent children from being denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions but it will be 2014 before this law extends to adults.

And for the self-employed, insurance is usually very expensive as you are paying for the entire cost yourself, rather than having your company pick up some of the tab.

But you may have some options - if you are earning under a certain amount, you may qualify for Medicaid. You can begin your search by checking your state's medicaid program. Just google your state + Medicaid.

Since you have seizures, you may also qualify for some kind of disability or other kinds of medical coverage. Again, check with your states Social Security/Disability options.

Lastly, your treatment options depends on what kind of seizures you have and their severity. You can talk to your health care provider about this.

Does this information help you?

September 29, 2010 - 12:51pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Susan Cody)

Yes, Susan thank you. I have just been feeling so lost lately. I will check out arizona medicaid right now. thanks again

September 29, 2010 - 1:38pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Can't Find Something?

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK Moderation Guidelines

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!