dent in my nipple

By September 12, 2016 - 4:04pm

I have been very worried about this and i wanted some peace of mind. I am 18 years old and a few days ago I noticed a small dent in my left nipple. It just goes a bit inward while my other nipple is totally normal. I am supposed to get my period tomorrow so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.. but this is the first time i have a dented nipple. I went to the gyno today but she didnt see or feel anything wrong because when im cold my nipple comes back out or when it is touched it comes out and it happened to be out during the appointment. i am very worried please help!

Hi micavecco

It sounds like an inverted nipple may be forming. This can happen for no discernible reason and is not a serious health condition.

Inverted nipples sink inward toward the breast instead of pointing outward. There are varying levels of severity, starting with those that "come out" (or become "everted"), with stimulation or cold temperatures. These are nipples some people call "shy nipples." In the most severe cases, nipples are firmly inverted and never project outward.

To correct inverted nipples - if yours actually forms in to an inverted nipple, a physician will snip tissue or small fiber strands that pull the nipple inward. Care must be taken to leave all milk ducts intact. The surgeon will then place sutures to close the small wounds and help ensure nipples remain in the everted position after healing. Most often the simple procedure can be done under local anesthesia or local anesthesia with intravenous sedation. Healing takes several days and scars are typically not noticeable at all.

However, this is early days for you - see how things progress. You may see your return return to normal again. If it doesn't, talk to your doctor about your options.

Thanks so much! I was worried it was something serious but I'm only 18 so i wasnt sure. I'll keep you updated!

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide