Diagnosed with pulpitis, has anyone else had this?

By May 15, 2009 - 11:19am

My dentist told me I probably have irreversible pulpitis and my only treatment option is a root canal. Are there other treatment options? I had a crown on the same tooth about 6 months ago - can the pulpitis be related to that procedure? I find it strange that I never had any of these symptoms until after the crown and now I have irreversible pulpitis.

Hi Susan,
Thanks for the great information. They diagnosed me by my symptoms and x-rays. Since my original post my symptoms have gotten worse – the pain is getting harder to manage. I've called the dentist and looks like my best option is a root canal. I was hoping to avoid it but I can't stand the pain anymore. The pain from the root canal can't be any worse than the one I'm experiencing now and the good thing is my insurance company will cover some of the cost.
My root canal is scheduled for tomorrow, you know you're in pain when you are looking forward to a root canal!

Hi Angelica

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHer!

I'm sorry you are dealing with this - tooth pain and tooth health can be seriously painful (not to mention expensive).

You make a good point - it's thought that too much work on a tooth (too many treatments) can actually cause pulpitis (inflammation of the dental pulp). Dental pulp is the soft tissue in the middle of the tooth.

How sure is your dentist that your pulpitis is irreversible? If it is; root canal or even extraction of the tooth is necessary because the pulp will die and leave you very susceptible to infections.

But if it's not irreversible, then the pulp remains healthy.

Did your dentist do x-rays? What kind of procedure did he do to diagnose this as irreversible?

By the way, root canal is tough but it's really not so bad. I've had it done twice - not the most pleasant of experiences but not totally dreadful. The cost, however, is high. I hope your insurance can cover you.

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide