Diagnosed with "Unusual Cell Activity"-Scheduled for Surgery!

I was diagnosed with unusual cells and scheduled for surgery; but delayed it to ascertain whether ViaFem (estrogen administered by intravaginal caplet) could be the cause. I stoped using the Viafem, and am going to repeat the PAP in six months. Have you ever treated anyone else who had skewed results of a PAP due to such caplets being inserted too close to the cervix? In my early twenties, I contracted the virus that they vacinate young women for, so I probably am in a high risk group. I'd just like another opinion.

Thanks for your post! We are an informational website, not one that treats or diagnoses.

Viafem is merely an herb that is inserted to stimulate a woman sexually and has nothing to do with your HPV (human papilloma virus). HPV is a sexually transmitted infection/virus.

The surgery you are getting is likely to be a colposcopy - is that correct? It's not really surgery - more like a quick procedure done by your own doctor. This is where some cells will be removed for examination and proper diagnosis. If this is what you are doing -it's fast and pretty much pain-free, maybe just a little uncomfortable- and done in your doctor's office. Learn more here: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/what-colposcopy
Let us know if this isn't the procedure being done.

You can read all about HPV here: http://www.empowher.com/headache/content/hpv-how-understanding-acronym-can-save-your-life

I hope this helps and good luck with your procedure!

I was prescribed ViaFem for urinary incontinence. I have been single and celibate for six years, and ceased to have any desire five years ago when menopause began in full force. I was asking if the HPV or the ViaFem useage caused unusual cell activity in anyone else. I already had the biopsy a month after the irregular pap smear. It is not a pain free procedure at all!. I am on meds for chronic pain for nineteen yrs., and the biopsy left me in pain for more than a week! My Surgeon tried to explain there were no nerve ending cells in the cervix. He explained this was what he was taught from decades ago. You must have had Pap Smears. You can certainly feel that, can't you? That's just a scrape, not an incision to harvest a sample of flesh.
I was later to have had a LEEP procedure to remove the affected side of the cervix, and was informed that it would necessitate general anaesthetic and require overnight supervision the day after the surgery. I apologize for any misunderstanding or confusion I created.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Suze54)

Hi Suze54

Thanks for the update but I think I'm still confused!

Viafem is an herb that does not need a prescription and is only used as a capsule to increase sexual desire in women. It's taken before sex and is often called "over the counter viagra" or "herbal viagra for females" - hence it's name: "via"/"fem". Whether it works or not is up in the air (some say it does, some say it does nothing) but it is not a medication and has nothing to do with urinary incontinence. It's sold in herbal stores or vitamin shops or sex shops.

I'm not saying you don't know what you were given for incontinence but this ViaFem should not help -it contains herbs like sage and ginger and a shrub called damiana - even hops!

I didn't mean to sound glib saying it (Leep) was pain free - I'm sorry if I came off that way. I feel no discomfort with pap tests or even mammograms so maybe I just have tough nerves!

It sounds like you have HPV which may have been dormant in your system for years but is now active. This happens all the time, especially if you have a compromised immune system. In the States (I get the feeling you are not in America), a Leep is done using local anesthesia and it's done in your doctor's office as you then go home. If you are going under something like the British NHS, it may be an overnighter and/or general anesthesia (ie; private insurance doesn't have to pay for it) but it would be incredibly rare for someone to have a general anesthesia here as it's done in about 30 minutes right in the office with the patient going home right after, so I am assuming you might be British or in a country that offers universal health care. It's amazing how countries do the same procedures in a totally different way (at least in terms of protocol/stand operating procedure...excuse the pun.)

Again, the use of Viafem still mystifies me but I'm not a doctor and would love it if I can learn more about how these herbs can be used for incontinence. The more we learn, the better we can help others!

I've just gone to look at the box of intravaginally inserted caplets, and (my mistake) it's Vagifem-estradiol 25ug. That clarifies that issue. The procedure I had was a coloscopy; followed by a biopsy of the suspicious tissue that was highlighted by the vinegar swab of the area. I am in Canada, yes, universal health care. The surgeon who did the coloscopy in the out-patient dept. of the hospital, made the LEEP out to be a serious surgery, and I had a battery of tests to be done pre-procedure. I was told it was essential to have overnight supervision after coming out of the surgery; I would stay in the recovery ward until I was out from under the anaesthesia. I was loath to undergo a general anaesthetic since I have other health issues, and the surgeon could not assure me it was cancer...only unusual cell activity. Am I clearer yet? I just hoped the Estradiol or HPV was the cause of the unusual cells, not cancer. Sorry for the confusion, but thank you for aiding so many women in dealing with the myriad of issues we are usually forced to deal with in ignorance or confusion.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Suze54)

Hi again suze

Thanks for the update and yes, we're clearer now - those two are completely different supplements/medications!!

A LEEP will help discern what kind of cell activity you have going on - in other words - are your cells precancerous? Or even cancerous (in some cases) but if what you know now is that the activity is just "unusual" it sounds like they may be heading towards a pre-cancerous status.

This sounds frightening but catching it this early sees a very high rate of success - in the 90%+ range.

Since HPV is a virus passed from human to human or object to human, the Vagifem could not give you the virus.

Good luck with your LEEP - please keep us posted and take good care of yourself,

I am aware that HPV could not be caused by Vagi-Fem use... I had HPV thirty years ago. I had the biopsy after the coloscopy and diagnosis of the tissue was "unusual cell activity" . All I wanted to ask is if anyone else had unusual cells as a result of inserting Vagifem too close to the cervix, or as a result of having HPV. I know hormone use can heighten cancer cell growth.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Suze54)

Ok - hopefully other readers will see this and can help you out with the benefits of their own experiences in this area.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide