Did You Have Hives After Using ProActive?

By March 23, 2011 - 1:45pm

Hi All-

I have enough pimples that it's annoying and I was looking for a good skin care regimen that would promote a better complexion. For this reason, and because it was recommended by friends, I decided to try ProActive.

On the first day I was a little itchy on the areas I applied the medication and on the second day, a little red. But I figured it was just the product working. However, on the third day I was very itchy and broke out in hives on my neck.

The company was great and quickly gave me a refund after asking some questions, but I was wondering if this reaction has occurred to anyone else. Everyone I know who has tried it share positive feedback and I don't have any known contact allergies. Thoughts?

I used this stuff for less than 10 minutes and I just took it off and my face is red and bumpy and burning and I can feel it puffing up I have the first day of school tomorrow this stuff just ruined my week thanks proactive

Hi Shannon,
I used to be a Pro Active user in the past and noticed that I could no longer use it after about a year. I would not consider my break out as hives, but it certainly turned my face red and I know they recently changed the product.

I know that many people can react to acne medication from having allergies to Benzoyl Peroxide. Have you had any other reactions to acne medications before?

(reply to Anonymous)

As I mentioned, no known contact allergies . . . to anything.

Anonymous (reply to Shannon Koehle)

I had a severe reaction to Proactiv! I broke out in hives which would have been bad enough but they got so bad I was having a hard time breathing and after 8 hour from the time I rinsed it off in was admitted in the hospital cuz I reacted so badly I had to be put on a breathing machine and had benadryl IV's for hours to counter act the reaction...

Contact Dermatitis

Contact Dermatitis Guide