do boils or Furuncled leave a dark area after being healed

By Anonymous April 19, 2010 - 9:43am

I keep getting what appears to be a boil, either on my inner thighs, under my arm, on my waist or stomach. They start out as a red and tender oval, roundish area and hurt to the touch or if I move the wrong way, they get bigger and the skin starts to look glossy. eventually something yellow and clear liquid and then blood will come out. I keep a bandaid on it to help with the pain of clothing touching it and then it leaves a purplish/redish spot behind that eventually fades somewhat. Does this sound like boil to you? There is no hair where they pop up and in the last year or so it has only been on my underarm and waist/stomach area, not my thighs anymore Thanks for your insight

Dear Anonymous

You do sound like you may have boils or furunkles although furunles have a hair that's at issue. You just may not be able to see it.

And these can leave marks behind. In fact, permanent scarring can occur.

These furunkles are generally caused by bacteria (sometimes something serious like staph) so make sure you are very careful and use very clean towels or bandages. Make sure you use clean bath towels and clean wash cloths every single day.

Read more on furunkles here: http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2010/03/15/how-get-rid-furuncle-boil

Also, read our reference page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/boils

Boils Guide