Do i have ADHD

By Anonymous April 12, 2010 - 1:48pm

i find it hard to remember things. Like reading a chapter and soon as the book close i 4get everything. it's extremely hard 4 me to concentrate especially a long period of time. im 17 years old.Multiple things go on in my head like a tv playing all station s at one time. I also have a hard time learning a new concept and trying to remember it. My attention span is very short. I find my self wondering and doing other things rather than doing my work or paying attention when i'm supposed to.

Hi, Anon,

As someone who has ADD/ADHD myself, I can tell you that it's possible you do, from the symptoms you list. ADD/ADHD people are very prone to distraction and often have trouble concentrating unless they're really, really interested in something.

Have these things just started more recently, or have they been part of the way you are as long as you can remember?

Here is an online quiz that asks you 24 questions and then scores you to see if you need to see a doctor to be evaluated for ADD/ADHD. You should answer the questions in terms of how you have felt most of your life.

It adds up your score and then lets you know where you are on this scale:

70 & up Adult ADHD
50 - 69 Moderate ADHD
35 - 49 Borderline ADHD
25 - 34 Mild ADHD
0 - 24 No ADHD likely

It's not a diagnosis, but it's a good tool to know if you should see someone for a proper diagnosis.

And if you believe you do, this organization's home page may help:

That's the website for Children and Adults with ADD/ADHD.

I sure hope this helps. Take it from me, an ADD/ADHD diagnosis and treatment CAN help you with those bothersome symptoms if that's what's going on with you. If you have it, you will have it all of your life, but you can learn some coping mechanisms -- and/or take medication -- that will help.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

i took it and scored a 92. it told me to see a professional immediately

I think it's a great idea for you to see your health care provider (not necessarily "immediately" but make an appointment soon) and if you have a diagnosis of ADHD then a care plan can be devised so that you can maximize your potential but know where your strengths and weaknesses are and work with them.

Treatment may include:

Medications can help control behavior and increase attention span. Stimulants are the most common choice for ADHD. They increase activity in parts of the brain that appear to be less active in children with ADHD. Stimulant medications include:

Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate, Daytrana)
Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine)
Amphetamine (Adderall)
Atomoxetine (Strattera)
Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse)—This medication was recently approved to treat adults with ADHD. It can also be used to treat children aged 6-12 years. *²

Talk to your doctor if you have any questions about ADHD medication. There are possible risks with these medications, including cardiovascular events (eg, stroke , heart attack ) and psychiatric problems (eg, hearing voices, becoming manic).

Because of the rare risk of serious heart problems, the American Heart Association suggests that children have an electrocardiogram (ECG) before starting stimulant medication for ADHD. *¹

Other drugs include:

Antidepressants—such as imipramine (Janimine, Tofranil), venlafaxine (Effexor), and bupropion (Wellbutrin)
Clonidine (used for Tourette's syndrome )—to treat impulsivity

Behavior Therapy
Children who take medication and go to therapy do better than those who just use medication. Therapy sessions focus on practicing social and problem-solving skills. Counselors will also teach parents and teachers to help the child through positive reinforcement. This could involve changes in the classroom, as well as in parenting style. Often, daily report cards are exchanged between parents and teachers.

Other tools, like the Disc'O'Sit cushion, may be helpful in improving children's attention in class. *³ The Disc'O'Sit is a dome-shaped cushion filled with air that the child balances on.

There are no guidelines for preventing ADHD because the cause is unknown. Proper treatment can prevent problems later in life.

You can read a lot more on our ADHD page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-and-attention-deficit-disorder#definition

Please keep us updated and let me know what you think!

ADHD Guide