Do I HAVE to drink a gallon of water a day?

By Anonymous January 16, 2015 - 10:50am

I've heard that it is recommended to drink a gallon of water every day, but I struggle to drink that amount. Is this a good rule to follow? I've been trying to stick with the guideline, but it's difficult for me to drink that much. I only feel like drinking water when I am very thirsty. 

Thanks for your question - it's a great one! 

You don't HAVE to do anything (but die and pay taxes!). 

I have not read that a gallon of water a day is recommended. Where did you read that? 

What is actually recommended is 8 8oz glasses of water every day. This amounts to 64oz while a gallon is 128. Unless someone is exercising or sweating a lot everyday, that may be hard for anyone to get through. 

On a very hot day or on a day where you exercise a lot, you may drink close to a gallon and that's a good thing, to make up for dehydrating conditions. But there is no need for someone on a "normal" day to drink anymore than 64oz. That is enough to keep you hydrated. 

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide