Do I need antidepressants?

I had a baby exactly 6 weeks ago and went to postpartum check up and showed borderline for depression... I have a family history of depression. I have 2 kids 2 years and 6 weeks. I got prescribed a low dose of Zoloft to see if it helps a little. My Question is do you think it would be helpful to take it considering I'm borderline and I have a big family history of it? Or do you think I could be fine without it?

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your new baby!

We cannot tell you whether or not to take anti-depressants; that ultimately comes down to you, along with your doctor's guidance.

We can tell you, however, that women with a history of depression are more susceptible to post-partum depression than others. 

Since you have experience with depression, if you think you may have it again, or are seeing signs (which I think you are) then it's something to think about. Certainly if you feel any worse, it's something to think about. Not everyone can pull out of depression through a healthy diet and lots of exercise and some sun (all of these will help) so don't be afraid to try medication; it could really help.

Postpartum Depression

Postpartum Depression Guide