do side effects from alli go away?

By Anonymous February 6, 2009 - 10:29am

I have just begun using alli this week for help in weight loss. I am having the somewhat unpleasant side effect of "leakage." I know the FDA approved it but I am worried about what makes this happen. Will it go away when I get used to it?

Here is some useful FDA data on alli side effects

I used Alli last fall, and have had the stomach issues since. I used Alli according to directions and still had the side affects. I kept on using it because I hate to waste money, lost about 9 pounds, but now, almost a year later, I still have problems. I am looking for a class action suit.
I am in constant pain and distress.

The side effects connected with Alli and Xenical, which seem to be much more serious than indicated on the labeling, such as liver damage, are frightening. It's such a shame that in an attempt to lose weight, one can end up suffering serious harm. I just ran across an interesting site on the Alli and Zenical issue at http://alli-liver-damage-lawyer.com/, which gives some good information and advice on the the issue.

I has side effects the first week of taking the pills and now nothing. Still basically eating the same, but haven't had oily side effects. Does that mean it's not working. The side effects weren't that bad, it was actually interesting to see the oil coming out--you knew it was working! Now after 1.5 weeks I don't see it. Does that mean its stopped working?

(reply to Anonymous)

I agree. It only worked for about a week and a half for me. I finished up the bottle, but the second week and a half...no side affects. I think it had stopped working.

(reply to Anonymous)

I was on the Alli program for a while, but didn't feel as though it was working for me. The "TSE's" (treatment side effects) were annoying, to say nothing of embarrassing. Personally, I'd rather have a salad every day and half an apple before bed to keep things moving along.

You've only been on the program for 1 1/2 weeks, and that's not really time enough to tell whether or not it's working for you. Give it at least 6-8 weeks.

Let us know how you're doing.

I have a friend who was the sales rep for Alli and after learning about it, she would not recommned it.
Check with your primary care physician.

The main concern or negative side effect of Alli is vitamin defficiency. There is some indication that points at possibly increasing colon cancer as well. I would not take this pill even if that was the last thing on earth! Calorie count, a balance diet that eliminates gluten (any wheat products), and elimination of refined sugars and flours along with exercise will be more effective on a weight loss program and healthier!

Thanks for your question and welcome to Empowher!

I can only speak for my own personal experiences with Alli. I had 10 lbs to lose due to several pregnancies. I started Alli as soon as my one year old weaned from nursing.

My diet was low fat and vegetarian, and I gave Alli three weeks before stopping completely and I will never take it again. The side effects were a disaster for me, and I was eating a maximum of 30 grams of fat per day (that's low!) and was completely meat-free. I was miserable - never again.

I ultimately lost the 10 lbs using that old thing called healthy-diet-and-exercise :)

You may not experience those "leakage" side effects. Not everyone does. The literature says the results are good for most people. But many do have a bad experience and it's horrible. Not only that but you may end up smelling like a gasoline tank. Oil is oil, whether from your body or from the ground.

As I said, this is just my personal experience.

Healthy Eating