Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I am a 43 yr. old female. I believe I am in the beginning stages of menopause. I had a hysterectomy 11 yrs ago, leaving one ovary. I haven't needed any hormones as of yet, but thinking it might be an option.
Lately, I have been getting hot flashes quite regularly. In addition to the hot flashes, I have noticed an odor every time I urinate. I shower daily, and haven't had any signs of infection- yeast or UTI. The weird thing about it, is that it smells as if I'm on my period!! Considering I haven't had a menstrual cycle in 11 years, it definitely caught me off guard.
Has anyone else experienced these same symptoms?? I'm really needing some input on this!! It's an embarrassing situation, and something I just don't feel comfortable talking about with my fiance'. Any advice or insight on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Same boat. .47 and my hot flashes come and go. . But i sweat alot in my armpits and I have tryed every deodorant and nothing seems to work!!! Freaking out!

Dry off well after your shower and with wet fingertips pat baking soda onto your fingers and apply to your armpits. It works! It has worked so much for me that I rarely wear deodorant. When wearing layers and one is a color use deodorant. If just one color use baking soda. It is a natural bacteria killer. That's why an open box in the fridge draws the smells to it!! =D

Felicia50 (reply to Anonymous)

I am 50 years old. I had my hysterectomy at the age of 25. My cousin and I are both having similar problems. I went as far as buying the Poise thin pads. I have just noticed the odor in the last twelve months or so. My cousin and I have only discussed this between the two of us because we're too embarrassed to discuss it with anyone else. I am constantly cleaning myself up because of the unpleasant odor. Does anyone have any answers? My vaginal has not always smelled this way therefore, I have no understanding for the sudden change. I have however heard that if you eat certain foods for a long periof of time that you may start having the odor of the food such as fish and so on. I don't know how true that is but I'm gasping at straws. I am not sexually active.

Anonymous

Now 59 and past menopause by 3 years...2 years ago I noticed a urine smell...at least thought it was urine. The odor is only "smellable" as I urinate. Once it stops....the odor is gone. I have been to 2 general practice and one OBGYN...I have had 2 urine tests, one with a culture, full blood work, tested for H-Pylorie, a PAP smear and pap smear culture. All tests came out negative. I was on anti biotics twice in 6 months and Monostat for a week an still, the odor is there. OBGYN sent me to the general practice and General Practice sent me to OBGYN. Neither kind of doctor knows what to do. NO other health issues. Any suggestions what I should do next? It has been 2 years.

Please look up Trimethylaminuria (fish odor syndrome). I may be off base but I have suffered with body odor in stressful times. Started at about 39 and comes and goes. Had sinus surgery, allergy shots, DX migraines etc. I have, since 10 mos ago suffered from what appears to be very strong emitting vaginal odor. Not imagining this, people have commented, given dirty looks, covered their mouth/nose. Have had ovarian cyst surgery, was on HRTs etc. It has become progressively worse and I am going to go to a GYN who specializes in menopause. 2 different things going on . Hope this helps someone.

That might just be the way your coochie smells, mine is very similar to yours, after menopause at 51 I noticed that when I pee my vagina smells like light fish and urine, a GYN told me to sit is a tub to let water naturally go in there, it works for a while too try that

Anonymous

Greetings to all of you dear ladies!
I am glad I am not alone with the smell issue.
I am 57 and 2 years in post menopause.About 3 years ago I started noticing a very strong smell from my underarms.I asked a couple of friends who are close to my age and was told that they don't have the issue with smell.I tries lots of things and nothings really helped.Finally I did a whole body detox and got rid of the underarms smell.At least it is not that intense.
As per a vagina smell-I got it may be 1 year ago.Many things I tries to do with it:rinse with water with apple cider vinegar with a couple of drops ob tea tree oil,tea tree soap,olive oil soap,Vagisil PH balance,odorless pantyliners,Vagisil powder,Vagisil creams-those are all are temporarily reliefs.The smell comes back if I stop using them.I wish I could find probiotic suppositories-I believe they would help.
Best of luck !

Anonymous

I'm 64 yrs old, menopause finally came at age 60. Began smelling that horrible noxious odor around 56. After extensive reading, I deduced that I was having a ph imbalance issue due to the use of soap. Last year I got a bottle of Vagisil PH balance for use in vaginal and rectal areas. It helped quite a bit. A few months ago I replaced my pantiliners with Poise micro liners. Now the only time that odor returns is after sex but not as significant.

Felicia50 (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you, I will try some of the suggestions that you have made. I started having problems with the under arms in my late twenties, no kidding. I changed to men's deodorant named Mitchum. I used it for about five years. I was sweating profusely. Finally after the 5 year period give or take a few around the 5 year lenght of time I was able switch back to Secret.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :