Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I WAS JUST TOLD THAT I HAD MADE IT TO MENAPAUSE @ 47YRS OLD. I DON'T MIND SO MUCH AS I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT. I DO HAVE THAT SMELL THING GOING ON AND I AM WASHING AND SITTING IN BATHES WITH NATURAL OILS AND DOUCHING ( SOMETHING I HADN'T DONE IN OVER 20YRS, PER MY DR.) WHEN THIS SMELL HAPPENED I WAS SO PARANOID THAT PEOPLE SMELLED ME. AS SOME OTHERS HAVE STATED, NO ONE ELSE SMELLED ME OR SO THEY SAY. MY SPOUSE DIDN'T AND THE DR. WHO DID MY WELL WOMAND CHECK UP DIDNT SAY SHE SMELLED ANYTHING AND MY URINE WAS NORMAL ALSO. THANK YOU ALL, I MEAN THE MEN ALSO, FOR SHARING. IT HAS HELPED ME A LOT. I CAN'T SAY I WON'T USE THOSE WIPES AND I WEAR A PANTY LINER ALSO, CAUSE I THINK IT KEEPS THE SMELL FROM GETTING OUT! OMG...I SMELL MY PANTIES AND THEY DON'T SMELL LIKE WHAT I AM SMELLING AND I CAN'T EVEN THINK IT'S MY WHOLE BODY!!!!! THIS REALLY BUGS ME. I WILL TAKE IN WHAT HAS BEEN SAID AND AGAIN, TY
MRS. ALLISON
TEXAS

I was reading the articles and I can relate to yours the most.
I can agree with the comedian Ricky Smiley and his video called (nobody told me nothing) because nobody told me nothing about this Menopause.
I am an African American woman, and my mother‘s parents died when they were young; therefore my mother grew up to believe that menopause was wrong and (do not talk about it), so I grew up in the dark. Now I am in my 50 and I am just now learning that a woman’s uterus can fall and the pelvic wall can go wrong. HELP! Yes I have an odor now, and I hate it; it took me 6 years to know what was wrong.
In the beginning I thought other people bathrooms had a smell, I was in their bathrooms scrubbing.
Until my daughter’s mother said to me after a visit to her home-she said (I have plenty of bathtubs and that I was welcome to use one) I didn’t know what she was talking about because I am a person who takes 2 to 3 showers a day. My little granddaughter always tells me” Grand mom” you smell like boo boo. This hurts because of my uterus I smell the same in the front and back; because I suffer from fecal incontinence and urinary incontinence. I am going to a doctor next week for this problem. I don’t have the good insurance either, but the Obama medicade will pay for this.
Hope this helps someone.

I started pre menopause at the age of 42 and had my last period at the age of 45... I had never had a BV infection or had a foul vaginal smell until I become pre menopausal. Six years later of many bouts of BV, about every 2 or 3 months I finally found a Dr that took the time to explain to me what was happening to my body. Why I was having so many infections that included a foul vaginal smell and white discharge. It's due to the lack of Estrogen levels that's causing the natural good flora bacteria not to stick to the vaginal lining. My Dr. has recommended Hormone Therapy but it's expensive and I haven't bought insurance as per the new Obama Care. I've researched the internet for hours looking for home remedies. I finally found something that is a temporary fix to my bouts of BV and the foul vaginal smell. It's a women's Probiotic with a 25 billion count of Lactobacillus. It does what the packaging says.. It gives me the "Ultimate Flora." I take 1 day along with 1 Folic Acid. The folic acid serves to support the immune system and fight off infection from a prevention standpoint. I still continue to have bouts of BV but not as often. For now this is going to have to do until I can afford to buy insurance that Obama Care says I must have.

Anonymous

I'm definitely smelling something different. Like sour sweat. I bathe, douche, use clinical strength deodorant. And somehow that smell still lurks around. I think I'm going to try vagilsil wipes for my vaginal area and some kind of cornstarch powder for under my boobs( they're very large (real). Crossed fingers it diminishes ! I'll check back in a couple of weeks to report any changes !

Anonymous

I guess I am the opposite...my body scents are much less now. I'm talking about body odor AND that musky smell that gets on panties. Most days, my panties don't smell at all. I do not have any bad odor from the vagina but I never did before. I never had any infections or yeast problems. I used to hate that musky smell down there and it embarrassed me during sex but now I actually miss it. I kind of feel sad, because I did not know it would go away with menopause. Once in a while it returns, but not as strong.

Anonymous

I'm glad to know others are having similar problems. I thought sometime was wrong with me. I believe i'm going through menopause because i'm discharging a brown foul odor even my urine has an odor.

Anonymous

I'm 55, been menopausal for 3 years, have diabetes and hypothyroidism. I get sour smells from my armpits and vulva, which my partner has noticed and commented on. I have tried various products including creams, deodorants, powders, herbal pills, prescription pills and having 4 or 5 showers daily. I've seen my GP who can find no infection or anything else that would cause this and has tested me for everything (including fungal and bacterial infections). Nothing worked for me until I tried (in desperation), antibacterial wipes in both areas, these work extremely well in my vulva - I have little or no smell after using one for at least two days while continuing to shower twice daily. The wipes are not as effective in my armpits, the smell returns after a few hours, so I have started using hand sanitising gel for this area and a light moisturising lotion after application, this removes the smell for a full 24 hours. This formula, which I have used for three months now, works perfectly for me and I am so happy with the results - no side effects like drying of the skin either. Everyone's body is different and no one treatment will work for all, but if you have tried everything you can think of and are desperate, as I was, this might be something that will work for you. GOOD LUCK GIRLS.

Anonymous

I sweat terribly and yes the odor is not a good thing. I've been trying to get my body in balance by eating alkaline foods. As for the odor I absolutely recommend purebodyscent all over body deodorant, this stuff is the greatest. No more odor for me but I am still trying to get my body in balance. Liz

where do i buy Purebodyscent ?

Anonymous

My GYN told me that post-menopause your vagina is more alkaline, and can develop Strep B, which does cause an odor. I received a prescription to use twice weekly as part of a hygiene routine.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :