Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I believe it's hormones. This makes sense. When we are of childbearing years, we must be as attractive to the opposite sex as possible. After menopause, not necessary. I received many compliments while wearing perfume (one in particular) about 15 years ago, both no more. I am 59. I believe my body chemistry has changed, along with a lot of other details! I don't know if it's pheromones , something else, or a combination thereof. All I DO know is, it isn't the same, even to me.

There's not a lot I wouldn't spend to get that "certain something" BACK, if ever the brainiacs could figure out what the hell it was!

I commented just now, but it doesn't appear to have shown up, so apoiogies if it appears twice, :
I am 63, startec menopause 10 yrs ago, hate everything about it, prior to that i looked young, then a few months into menopause ppl started treating me differently, I v quickly looked years older. Last night heard myself described as an "old lady" even though I do my best to look young and dress youthfully, I do no want to look old, I like Japanese vocaloid MMD videos and would like to make my own, collect some of the figurines like Black Rock Shooter, etc, I have interests that only young ppl usually are interested in, not because I'm forcing myself to be interested in things like that, but because I just am naturally. I'm not interested in things that most ppl my age are interested in. I don't fit in anywhere, no longer look or smell the same so get treated differently, ppl treat me like a funny old eccentric woman instead of me, with my unique personality, all that is ignored, in the eyes of the world, I'm just 'old'. I hate it, have no friends, except one man years older than me fdwho treats me badly and he has strong interest in really young girls I recently discovered so don't even like being in his company but have had to rely on him for certain things becasue there is no one else, I have tried so hard to make friends, have sought help from so called professionals, can't walk properly anymore, try to walk fast but can't, i am terrified, have no one to rely on, want to enjoy life, nobody cares about me except me myself. I want to look like me again, not just like an old woman, even without all the obvious signs of age, there are obviously still giveaways, probably the way I walk , upper arms loose flesh, squared off jawline droopy eyes, old lady smell, even sweet candy vanilla type scents seem to end up as the old lady cologne smell. Nature is trying very hard to make me as unattractive as possible in every way possible because no longer fertile and heaven forbid anyone of the opposite sex should still be interested in a woman over 50 let alone over 60, not that I want anyone ,i don't, but the fact that from being seen as young and desirable , i went from that, to straight to being old and undesirble in the eyes of the world. it is all so depressing. i used to be told , if you think things are bad now, wait until you get older! it gets even worse then! I now know what they mean!

This is EXACTLY my problem! This is the first time I have ever heard anyone who explains it this way. I too had a favorite perfume which I still wear but receive no compliments anymore!

Anonymous

To the women who are posting various remedies for washing your lady parts, you are causing more harm than good. The vagina is NOT to be washed with anything but water. Yes, it smells, but you upset the natural ph when you introduce anything but water into the area. See your GYNO. There are products made to restore and balance the ph which can be purchased OTC without a prescription, however be careful to avoid products with glycerin as they may cause a yeast infection.

After struggling for a long time with post-menopausal underarm odor, I found this site and have tried many of the suggestions without much luck. But, finally, I found what works for me and can go all day without the offensive smell! After showering with Dial, and the most important--splash hydrogen peroxide on an unscented baby wipe or facial wipe and rub the armpits with it. It dries quickly then I use my deodorant & I like Secret Clinical Strength or Arrid XX Dry. Wow. It's been a miracle. I can go all day without smelling myself! Thanks, ladies, for all your suggestions.

Anonymous (reply to Lucie)

Underarm odor I can deal with. Its the fishy lady stink I can't.

Anonymous

yes this is something that has definitely happened and i used to smell like perfume so i am told lol. its really annoying i took canestan and it went but back to floral again but in a week it is definitely a menopausal thing and really annoying.

Anonymous

I underwent a complete surgical menopause at age 40 for which I take estradiol. I am now 51. Approximately 4 years after onset of menopause I began to notice that I had a strange and unpleasant odor. I tried everything and nothing worked, and in fact some products seemed to make it worse. I finally made an appointment with a GYN who specializes in post-menopausal issues and she was awesome! She explained that these symptoms are not at all uncommon and immediately prescribed Premarin cream for my vagina. This helped immediately! She also explained the PH differences of a post-menopausal vagina and recommended Aveeno oatmeal soap or other completely fragrance free produce containing moisture as to not further dry the vagina and balance the PH. Any traces of odor that were not resolved from the Premarin cream immediately went away. In combination, the cream and soap work great for me so I thought I'd share! If I run out of the Premarin and haven't made it to the pharmacy yet it comes back in about two days. If I run out of the soap it comes back within about four days so it really is a balancing act of keeping estrogen in the vagina and balancing the PH, but as long as I have both I have virtually no odor whatsoever.
Just a note: I have tried other oatmeal soap brands and they didn't work nearly as well. I don't know why Aveeno works so well but it does. Hope this helps anyone experiencing these symptoms.

Premarin is made from the urine of pregnant female horses. In order to keep the mares pregnant, baby after baby horse is born and then ruthlessly discarded. The Premarin industry treats the mares just as badly, locking them up so they can't move around. The Premarin industry is a horrid brutal industry which needs to come to an end. Please try and find a better alternative.

Ive heard this from my doctor and he took me off of them because he said it can cause cancer.

Menopause

Menopause Guide