ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

I also found that my deodorant wasn't working anymore once I started Menopause, I was using Secret solid powder, I still use secret I just changed to Secret clear gel Outlast protecting powder, and it works for me.

I am 54 and had no monthly period for almost 2years. Just recently I noticed a different vaginal odor but I got no discharge. I am on an anti bacterial medication (nasal inflammation) at present and was amazed to discover that the odor suddenly disappeared . So I guess unknowingly, i had a bacterial infection down there . But this forum is very helpful and gives relief. Thank you to all.☺

Yes it smells like something died in there. It did, my sex life :)

I thought it was just me!!!no point mincing words...I stink."downstairs" as my sister used to say and I find my head sweats and smells a bit like sour milk mixed with stinky socks.My mum never smelled when she was my age and neither do my two sisters.Ive gained quite a bit of weight and was blaming it on that but after reading this forum Im staring to think its my age.yuk! Ive actually noticed my husband smells different than he did so maybe its not just women!

I agree. I find I have underarm odor to My husband smells different as well. He is 62 and has impeccable cleanliness standards and yet it is still different. I am 54 and I use dial soap and peroxide and sports powder in a liner to combat the smell. I read that warm water without soap was enough and doesn't dry you out. NOT Tried that last night in the shower not doing my regular regime. Big mistake this am I stink. I miss being told I am puppy's breath. Lol. I know I will never smell that way again but at least I could smell like a dog with fantastic breath! Just tired of fighting this. It is really exhausting and disappointing.

i find the smell a turn on at times . i am worried something is wrong should i worry i am 44 and went throught The menapuase 3 years ago

My mum.started going through menapause at 40 and so did I, maybe it can be a genetic thing but its quite normal, I am now 51 and have not seen anything for couple of years although I was on mini pill so I dont know when I stopped my periods.

Thank god I found this I was thinking I was going through this alone .....oh my it is a funky smell & no amount of bathing helps I am 54 & in my 5th year of menopause. I HATE it sweats stink really us ladies get a rough deal !

This is me too. It smells downstairs , my skin is aging fast, my throat, vagina, and skin stay dry, I have hot flashes & mood swings that are uncontrollable around that time of the month. I've never been much of a water drinker even when I was little & I'm wondering if women who don't drink enough or if they've always Dr in water but drink a lot of sodas, beer, coffee or smoke if thats why we get it worse than other women. If this is the case can doctors prescribe for us to get fluids thru IV for those of us that can't seem to get relief from this. Its frustrating for me.

The body smells very different. The skin at times smells acidic, almost like vinegar. The vagina and undies smell funky, almost like dirty socks even a few hours after washing. But it also feels very dry and irritated. And it has nothing to do with what one drinks. I don't drink sodas, beer occasionally and I don't smoke. I think it's just hormonal changes.

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :