Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

My GYN told me that post-menopause your vagina is more alkaline, and can develop Strep B, which does cause an odor. I received a prescription to use twice weekly as part of a hygiene routine.

Anonymous

Not meaning to sound vulgar, but have you asked your partner how you smell? Women's' sense of smell during ovulation is something like 1,000 times more acute than a man's. Or is it 10,000? The point is, your OWN sense of smell is stronger to start with. I believe what many of you are experiencing has more to do with your own sense of smell that has gone haywire than actual changes in your physical body odor. In other words, you are not generating foul odors; your olfactory system is miscuing. Several women commented their husbands noticed no change; so did a nurse who cares for post menopausal women. Listen to them. You don't stink. Quit douching and pouring tons of perfume and deodorant over yourselves to cover up what you think is an odor...it's all in your nose and quite frankly I hate all those artificial smells from soaps and deodorants, etc. As a man, let me tell you I adore the scent of a woman...especially during sex. Trust me, you don't stink!

Whoever you are I would love to get to know you! That smell I think I have always distract me during sex and the whole time of course I am thinking, "does he smell that?" I do not want to ask my partner the question but then I don't want to appear to not want him either. I wish there's a better way to enjoy the sex without being so distracted by my smell.

".... I wish there's a better way to enjoy the sex without being so distracted by my smell..." Embrace it! It's wonderful! Enjoy your sexuality and your sex. Let go of your inhibitions! This is your essence, your gift to your lover. I really can't explain it, but the scent of a woman (not perfume) makes me dizzy and crazy horny. The cosmetics industry has done a terrible disservice to women; I hope you and others posting here realize this sooner than later. Joy and love to you.

notlaughingnow

It is with wild crazy eyes I ask all my sisters frolicking through the menopausal daisies... "Really? !" I will be 50 in 2 mos. Been going thru meno for about a yr 1/2. Just had ovaries removed Mid March. 2 weeks later, attended my 90 yr old G-dads BDay Party AT THE CHURCH and stood there wondering, who is that idiot standing there crying like a manic fool? Oh, wait... it was me. I had folks hugging me saying, "I don't know why u r crying, but I'd like to hug you. Damnit! I thought I stopped crying 10 min ago! Now... today, I realize.. what is that nasty scent I keep smelling. Oh Joy! It's me again. YES, YES, YES. It is a musty , oily, old smell. I have so much social anxiety I skipped Easter Sun Church with husband. Y'day he booked a cruise wants to pay 4 spray tan & new outfits (thanks for the weight gain, Menopause) and all I can think of is... lipstick on a pig (and food). Kindly declined. (WHAT! Who said that!) Considering a gambling addition, must learn fast! He is actually taking this psycho nut ball to the hot ocean tropics to die of hotflashes while he sits poolside and admires the Brazilian bikinis pretending to puff on that cigar he never lights.. Poor, poor fool. Then again, it would take energy to care about it now. Never mind. I STINK!

Anonymous (reply to notlaughingnow)

I know, I know! Going through it right now, embarrassing. ..I thought I was losing it until I ser I am not alone in this...I wish we could meet, hug and reassure each other.... im not happy someone else feels this way, but reassured im not nutz!
Anonymous

Anonymous

What me and some in my family felt was like a sour blood smell coming from me, this is when I am going trough my last periods, just before menopause. Have any of you girls experienced this??

nurse1946

I just read the comments about older women smelling or having a certain order. As a nurse for over 40 years starting out as a nurses aide I've taken care of older women all my life. As an RN I worked even closely with older people in the heart unit and we have to bath and completely care for out cardiac patients. I have never smelled any particular odor from an old women that I haven't smelled on a young women. I do realize that certain foods emit different odors in people that consume say a lot of garlic, stuff like that but the Idea of women having different odors as they age if it's true there must be an explanation.

TheTruth

i don't even want to know.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :