ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Please look up Trimethylaminuria (fish odor syndrome). I may be off base but I have suffered with body odor in stressful times. Started at about 39 and comes and goes. Had sinus surgery, allergy shots, DX migraines etc. I have, since 10 mos ago suffered from what appears to be very strong emitting vaginal odor. Not imagining this, people have commented, given dirty looks, covered their mouth/nose. Have had ovarian cyst surgery, was on HRTs etc. It has become progressively worse and I am going to go to a GYN who specializes in menopause. 2 different things going on . Hope this helps someone.

That might just be the way your coochie smells, mine is very similar to yours, after menopause at 51 I noticed that when I pee my vagina smells like light fish and urine, a GYN told me to sit is a tub to let water naturally go in there, it works for a while too try that

Anonymous

Greetings to all of you dear ladies!
I am glad I am not alone with the smell issue.
I am 57 and 2 years in post menopause.About 3 years ago I started noticing a very strong smell from my underarms.I asked a couple of friends who are close to my age and was told that they don't have the issue with smell.I tries lots of things and nothings really helped.Finally I did a whole body detox and got rid of the underarms smell.At least it is not that intense.
As per a vagina smell-I got it may be 1 year ago.Many things I tries to do with it:rinse with water with apple cider vinegar with a couple of drops ob tea tree oil,tea tree soap,olive oil soap,Vagisil PH balance,odorless pantyliners,Vagisil powder,Vagisil creams-those are all are temporarily reliefs.The smell comes back if I stop using them.I wish I could find probiotic suppositories-I believe they would help.
Best of luck !

Anonymous

I'm 64 yrs old, menopause finally came at age 60. Began smelling that horrible noxious odor around 56. After extensive reading, I deduced that I was having a ph imbalance issue due to the use of soap. Last year I got a bottle of Vagisil PH balance for use in vaginal and rectal areas. It helped quite a bit. A few months ago I replaced my pantiliners with Poise micro liners. Now the only time that odor returns is after sex but not as significant.

Felicia50 (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you, I will try some of the suggestions that you have made. I started having problems with the under arms in my late twenties, no kidding. I changed to men's deodorant named Mitchum. I used it for about five years. I was sweating profusely. Finally after the 5 year period give or take a few around the 5 year lenght of time I was able switch back to Secret.

Anonymous

Yes, I have noticed and I've developed a CURE! Seriously I couldn't go 4 hours without washing before the smell would come. Now, I can actually go camping for 2 days with no shower and there is....(drum roll....) NO ODOR! I've written an ebook about how to banish this middle aged problem using simple, organic and edible ingredients to make an ointment that will make you feel 20 again.
Email me at Debideedog@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Anonymous

The smell has been driving me nuts. It reminds me of the smell on a bus in a third-world country. The odd thing is, I have not been able to locate it on me—no sign of odor on my clothing, even after all day wear. As far as I know, I don't have health or weight issues other than menopause that might cause it. My husband hasn't said anything, and he's usually very scent-sensitive, and I asked at my last checkup and neither the doctor or nurse could smell anything different, but I can, and it's horrible. My work requires me to be around people, and I feel very self-conscious despite daily showers, antiperspirant, etc. I am going to try the probiotic suggestion and the PureBodyScent—at least they are somewhat natural and worth a shot.

KENBORDEN1 (reply to Anonymous)

I think it is always good to wear a pad everyday.

Anonymous (reply to KENBORDEN1)

Why is that, KEN?

Pads dont cure anything
If anything they make things worse.. Think many are discussing different odours and wondering why and looking for support .

Menopause

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :