Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Thanks for letting me know. I won't be using Premarin. How sad that vanity, essentially, and money can lead to such madness.
Again, thank you.

I use to take Premarin until I found out how it is made. No more. You can get generic micronized estradiol (made from plants), which is identical to human estrogen ,and at a fraction of the price. I take generic micronized progesterone also (still have uterus) and a 30 day supply of both cost me about $40.00 (with BCBS high deductible). I tried going off HRT when I turned 60 and was MISERABLE; after 6 months I went back on. My husband commented that I smell much better now than I did when I was using the vagifem tablets.

(reply to Anonymous)

I didn't want to take Premarin so my doctor prescribed Estrace. She said while it's still Estrogen, it's made from yams. So far so good, when I remember to use it. I really hate vaginal creams, but maybe that's why I have this horrible smell. Just had obgyn appointment and everything was fine. I guess I better be more diligent about using it.

(reply to sunshinedaisy)

I was prescribed Estrace Cream as well. I used it regularly for quite awhile, but really didn't notice a difference. And it seemed to burn sometimes. I asked my dr about that, & was told that it shouldn't do that. Yet it did. So I quit using it.

(reply to Anonymous)

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read that this woman & so many others are using Premarin. A gynecologist wanted to put me on it about 5 yrs ago, because I was having very heavy, long, painful periods (l was in my late 40s then). As miserable as I was, I knew what Premarim was made from & the cruelty to the mares & foals, so I would not use it. I'm a vegetarian (10 yrs +), & animal rights advocate. I ended up getting a complete hysterectomy almost 2 & 1/2 yrs ago (I had Endometriosis in my uterus, along with the other issues I mentioned). I have struggled since with sweating a lot more under my arms & in my crotch, with very strong odors. I get hot flashes & night sweats sooo easily. I'd love to find things to help with all of this, but not Premarin or any other products that come from animals being treated horribly. I am going to talk to another gynecologist about it, so hopefully I can find acceptable alternatives to help me smell good again. And I'm taking screen shots of the comments on here about what is working for others (other than Premarin or similar). So thanks, ladies. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. I underwent surgery and within the last 6 months noticed a chance, not un pleasant just not the same. I'm gong to give this a try. Thank you so much for such great free information.

(reply to Anonymous)

I use Dial soap and vinegar and it works. I soapey up my wash rag and pour about 2table spoons of white vinegar on my rag and wash all over then rinse off, it helps with my sweating also.

You are very kind to share this info, Anon. Many of our readers are desperately searching for a solution and positive experiences always help!

I'm so happy to have stumbled across this website . I'm not alone

I am 51 and haven't noticed any odor in the vaginal area but my arm pits STINK lately! It smells like a garbage can, I can't stand it! I saw above to apply witch hazel to the armpits I am going to try that.

Menopause Guide