Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

TheTruth

i don't even want to know.

cheryljw

Absolutley! I am 56 years old, 3 years post menopausal, breezed right into it and through it with only an occasional night sweat but have noticed in the past 6 months or so, my body smells. Not like underarm stinky smell but just a strange unpleasant odor almost like oily smell but I'm not oily. I use antibacterial soap, deoderant, powder, scented lotions and I can still smell it! My husband says he has not noticed though. Sorry but glad there are others who share the same problem. If someone finds a remedy, please share. Otherwise, I am loooooovin the menopause!

daiziedoodle (reply to cheryljw)

I wish I knew !!!! I smell a fonk ! I've, duched, powdered , washed and all the above over and over ! When I sit somewhere for any length of time I smell this SMELL ! Dang it !!! There's got to be a hormonal reason for this ! I've never ( my privates) smelled this before !!!

Anonymous (reply to cheryljw)

I just got off of hormone replacement therapy and have this oily scent that I can't get rid of. My husband doesn't smell anything different about me but I do, even my perfumes smell different. I've take an epsom salt/baking soda bath, I've drank lemon, maple syrup and cayenne in order to cleanse my system and still it hasn't gone away. It's really upsetting because I pride myself in always smelling good. Someone please help!

Anonymous

A change in body odor, urine and a taste in the mouth could indicate health issues such as thyroid, diabetes, and even respiratory related troubles. These are things that perfumes won't correct.

Anonymous

Yes--I'm 66 and very upset because I noticed that now when i sweat i smell like a man--no joke--i take 2 showers a day, use strong deodorant, but the sweat/smell i'm talking about is from all over the body--i also seem to sweat excessively on my back--is there anything i can do about this? Yuck!

Anonymous

YESSSSS! My hair STINKS but not for long because it is all falling out. It doesn't matter what I have tried...it still has an odor and falls out in 300+ wads every time it is washed (every other day). DO NOT HAVE YOUR OVARIES REMOVED unless it is life or death. Just after turning 44, mine were taken (endometriosis) and since then I have high blood pressure, a large thryroid tumor, autoimmune kidney disease, Sjogren's Syndrome, and severe hair loss. All the other things like hot flashes and loss of sexual function have been comparatively minor. My hormone levels, including thyroid, are normal so I believe it is all because I have no ovaries. You don't hear of men having their testicles removed and thrown on HRT at the whim of someone thinking they don't need them any more because they are too old for children! I see middle aged women in a completely different light now that my eyes have been opened. Hang in there ladies...God has our backs ;-}

Anonymous

Sorry guys, but I am 63 years of age and loving it! No more periods to worry about each month, don't sweat excessively and need only a minimal amount of deodorants. The frightful migraines which accompanied my period each month have gone (must have been hormonal after all) as has the P.M.T. Man, was that ever a depressing symptom to have to endure just before my period each month. I am fit, healthy, not overweight and when I look back at 40 years of what was a very shitty female cycle I wonder why I wasn't sterilized at birth. I am rejoicing in a new found freedom and embracing my post-menopausal years. It's not all bad, believe me!

Lucky you! I assume that you have accomplished this with your ovaries intact. You should probably count your blessings.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :