ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Yes! I have the same problem. I feel like I smell acidic. I'm not sure if it is my skin or my nose, because I smell it everywhere around me. When I first began smelling it it was at work and I thought it was my co-workers. When I changed jobs, I noticed the smell at my new office too and began to realize it was me. I ask my husband if my skin smells like vinegar and he says "no, it doesn't". So I wonder if it is something in my brain or my nose. I noticed that my sense of smell is very strong now. I smelled a rose the other day and it was like "whoa! that rose is really strong". Never had that happen before.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Some solutions have been found below. I hope you try some and that one works for you. Let us know if you find success!

Hi ladies,
I, too, have been dealing with this embarrassing problem for a year or so now. Products that have a scent to them, like Norforms and fragranced douches, caused me irritation and just masked the smell anyway. I became so self-conscious that I started avoiding being intimate with my husband. After much searching, I found an unscented product called Ladybits Jelly that is working well for me. It helps to balance my pH, which seems to be the source of the trouble. I also started taking a probiotic supplement, Jarrow Fem Dophilus. I use the Jelly a couple of times a week before bed and the odor is completely gone. It has helped with dryness, too. These two products are kind of expensive (about $50 a month for both), but its well worth it to have my self-confidence and my sex life back.

Thank you for sharing.

Glad to see other ladies on here that are noticing the old lady funky smell. It is just nasty. If I showered or sink bathed three times a day it might be just enough, but by morning it's back. It definitely has nothing to do with sexual activity, but something I too noticed after menopause. Hoping to hear about help for this problem.

I am post-menipausal and I noticed a smell when using the bathroom.It smells like something died up there. Can anyone tell me what is happening ?

Thank you! So glad to know I am not alone in this! 51 years old and had an aroma until recently, when I went off the Pill. I notice it when I urinate and also there is a lingering scent in my panties and on pajama bottoms. I have doubled up on my water consumption, thinking my body just need to cleanse itself better, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

So glad I read some of the comments here. I suddenly developed an unusual, foul vaginal odor that is so strong that it penetrates my clothing and I can smell it myself. So can of course others around me. It started right after my last period. I have recently started to skip periods. I had never heard of such an odor before and thought I was going crazy. Then I vaguely recalled my mother smelling this way, but I didn't think about it at the time. It doesn't surprise me that doctors are clueless about this, women's issues not being a priority. This problem with perimenopausal offensive vaginal odor unrelated to bacterial vaginosis is probably not even documented.

Oh- the memories of menopause! I'm safely past it, thank goodness- and happily getting back the week that periods took out of my life every month. I was a heavy bleeder- with pain. But when I was going through the night sweats and sleeplessness and hot flashes, I finally found liquorice root drops- from the health food store. They did help my hot flashes a lot. And sweats.

I came on here just looking for why my urine now has a stronger smell- and as I don't flush everytime and live alone ( my choice) and saving water.. I notice that now my urine smells stronger- and just wondered if it was hormone related.
Other than that I do not smell different or stronger and have been past menopause for a couple years. Brain fog, and other things can very well be symptoms of what you eat as well. I had fatigue and brain fog and recently went to a naturopath who told me that among other things my adrenals are shot due to stress over long periods of time.

So we are working on that first, and after a month- I'm three weeks in- we will reassess and work on weight gain and other issues.

she gave me B5 and B6 and magnesium and vitamin D and told me to eat more protein, and I take adrenal support herbs and drink less coffee- Three weeks in and things are a bit better. A bit more energy without three cups of coffee. And my diet is better - more fresh salads, more protien- so always have breakfast- to make sure I'm getting 60-70 grams of protein a day- and stopped eating as many carbs( fast pizzas becasue I was too tired to cook) brain fog is decreasing- energy up, and sugar cravings almost gone.

So your smell smay be related to hormones, but it may be just eating wrong and stress. See a naturopath if you can. it wasnt cheap- but i figure if i feel better and have energy and can think again- I can always make more money. The path I was on was all downhil. I felt like I was 80. -

Now looking forward to feeling even better, and working towards a happy retirement.

Thank God for the internet! I am SOOOOOOO thankful to have found this site! I am 50 and haven't had a period in about 1 1/2 years. I have noticed an odor ~ not certain how long ago it started, but it's foul! I have allergies and asthma, which have also gotten worse over the last few years (Dr said it can happen as women age :-/ so I prefer to use "natural" soaps. I have to steer very clear of perfumes, so I can't use anything to cover up the odor. My husband hasn't noticed anything, so I can only hope it's not noticeable to others. I HIGHLY recommend flax seed meal for hot flashes & night sweats. I get it in bulk and put a tablespoon in my yogurt every morning. After a couple months of barely any sleep and feeling like I was going to kill someone if I didn't get some sleep ~ a friend recommended this ~ it has been a life saver for me (and perhaps for my husband :-)

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :