Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous (reply to notlaughingnow)

I know, I know! Going through it right now, embarrassing. ..I thought I was losing it until I ser I am not alone in this...I wish we could meet, hug and reassure each other.... im not happy someone else feels this way, but reassured im not nutz!
Anonymous

Anonymous

What me and some in my family felt was like a sour blood smell coming from me, this is when I am going trough my last periods, just before menopause. Have any of you girls experienced this??

nurse1946

I just read the comments about older women smelling or having a certain order. As a nurse for over 40 years starting out as a nurses aide I've taken care of older women all my life. As an RN I worked even closely with older people in the heart unit and we have to bath and completely care for out cardiac patients. I have never smelled any particular odor from an old women that I haven't smelled on a young women. I do realize that certain foods emit different odors in people that consume say a lot of garlic, stuff like that but the Idea of women having different odors as they age if it's true there must be an explanation.

TheTruth

i don't even want to know.

cheryljw

Absolutley! I am 56 years old, 3 years post menopausal, breezed right into it and through it with only an occasional night sweat but have noticed in the past 6 months or so, my body smells. Not like underarm stinky smell but just a strange unpleasant odor almost like oily smell but I'm not oily. I use antibacterial soap, deoderant, powder, scented lotions and I can still smell it! My husband says he has not noticed though. Sorry but glad there are others who share the same problem. If someone finds a remedy, please share. Otherwise, I am loooooovin the menopause!

daiziedoodle (reply to cheryljw)

I wish I knew !!!! I smell a fonk ! I've, duched, powdered , washed and all the above over and over ! When I sit somewhere for any length of time I smell this SMELL ! Dang it !!! There's got to be a hormonal reason for this ! I've never ( my privates) smelled this before !!!

Anonymous (reply to cheryljw)

I just got off of hormone replacement therapy and have this oily scent that I can't get rid of. My husband doesn't smell anything different about me but I do, even my perfumes smell different. I've take an epsom salt/baking soda bath, I've drank lemon, maple syrup and cayenne in order to cleanse my system and still it hasn't gone away. It's really upsetting because I pride myself in always smelling good. Someone please help!

Anonymous

A change in body odor, urine and a taste in the mouth could indicate health issues such as thyroid, diabetes, and even respiratory related troubles. These are things that perfumes won't correct.

Anonymous

Yes--I'm 66 and very upset because I noticed that now when i sweat i smell like a man--no joke--i take 2 showers a day, use strong deodorant, but the sweat/smell i'm talking about is from all over the body--i also seem to sweat excessively on my back--is there anything i can do about this? Yuck!

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :