Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

Thank god I found this I was thinking I was going through this alone .....oh my it is a funky smell & no amount of bathing helps I am 54 & in my 5th year of menopause. I HATE it sweats stink really us ladies get a rough deal !

This is me too. It smells downstairs , my skin is aging fast, my throat, vagina, and skin stay dry, I have hot flashes & mood swings that are uncontrollable around that time of the month. I've never been much of a water drinker even when I was little & I'm wondering if women who don't drink enough or if they've always Dr in water but drink a lot of sodas, beer, coffee or smoke if thats why we get it worse than other women. If this is the case can doctors prescribe for us to get fluids thru IV for those of us that can't seem to get relief from this. Its frustrating for me.

The body smells very different. The skin at times smells acidic, almost like vinegar. The vagina and undies smell funky, almost like dirty socks even a few hours after washing. But it also feels very dry and irritated. And it has nothing to do with what one drinks. I don't drink sodas, beer occasionally and I don't smoke. I think it's just hormonal changes.

Yes! I have the same problem. I feel like I smell acidic. I'm not sure if it is my skin or my nose, because I smell it everywhere around me. When I first began smelling it it was at work and I thought it was my co-workers. When I changed jobs, I noticed the smell at my new office too and began to realize it was me. I ask my husband if my skin smells like vinegar and he says "no, it doesn't". So I wonder if it is something in my brain or my nose. I noticed that my sense of smell is very strong now. I smelled a rose the other day and it was like "whoa! that rose is really strong". Never had that happen before.

Some solutions have been found below. I hope you try some and that one works for you. Let us know if you find success!

Anonymous

Hi ladies,
I, too, have been dealing with this embarrassing problem for a year or so now. Products that have a scent to them, like Norforms and fragranced douches, caused me irritation and just masked the smell anyway. I became so self-conscious that I started avoiding being intimate with my husband. After much searching, I found an unscented product called Ladybits Jelly that is working well for me. It helps to balance my pH, which seems to be the source of the trouble. I also started taking a probiotic supplement, Jarrow Fem Dophilus. I use the Jelly a couple of times a week before bed and the odor is completely gone. It has helped with dryness, too. These two products are kind of expensive (about $50 a month for both), but its well worth it to have my self-confidence and my sex life back.

Where can you buy this products? Thank you.

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous

Glad to see other ladies on here that are noticing the old lady funky smell. It is just nasty. If I showered or sink bathed three times a day it might be just enough, but by morning it's back. It definitely has nothing to do with sexual activity, but something I too noticed after menopause. Hoping to hear about help for this problem.

Anonymous

I am post-menipausal and I noticed a smell when using the bathroom.It smells like something died up there. Can anyone tell me what is happening ?

Menopause

Menopause Guide