Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

Sorry guys, but I am 63 years of age and loving it! No more periods to worry about each month, don't sweat excessively and need only a minimal amount of deodorants. The frightful migraines which accompanied my period each month have gone (must have been hormonal after all) as has the P.M.T. Man, was that ever a depressing symptom to have to endure just before my period each month. I am fit, healthy, not overweight and when I look back at 40 years of what was a very shitty female cycle I wonder why I wasn't sterilized at birth. I am rejoicing in a new found freedom and embracing my post-menopausal years. It's not all bad, believe me!

Lucky you! I assume that you have accomplished this with your ovaries intact. You should probably count your blessings.

Anonymous

I noticed a change in scent during menopause.. the same as I remember smelling on my mom.. not stink, just different... I hate it except my mom died and I always think of her when I sense the scent... I use Chanel #5 and it actually smells different on me. Not bad, just different. I do not stink...lol but have that difference... for all you whose hair is shedding,... buy some BRAGGS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR....NOT REGULAR APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, has to be brown with the "mother " in it.. it will stop your hair from shedding, reduce high blood pressure, keep you well and feeling better, research it on the internet.....
I do not have hot flashes or anything other women suffer from but weight gain.. and bloating, not gas,, just swell after eating.... lots you can do for these things by using natural stuff like drinking soy milk, vanilla is delicious.... take your calcium and vit D or risk bones so soft you will hurt just putting weight on your foot... for real.... get with it.....

Anonymous

I'm sorry, but the building I work in has tons of ladies over 60- and they all smell the same- and I find the smell unbearable. It doesn't smell rancid, it smells like a perfume or something they all use to cover up their personal scent. Yuck and Gross. And I am a woman. And it is the same smell which is very weird. But old lady smell is what I calling it. And I won't embrace it, I just hold my nose.

Rebecca Harder (reply to Anonymous)

I agree! I had my ovaries removed this year and ever since it's like I can "smell" women who are in menopause. It's like I have a weird 6th sense, kind of like drug-sniffing dogs, but with menopausal women, lol. It is an old lady smell, kind of sickeningly sweet. Every time I get a whiff of it, like at the grocery store, I quick look around and, sure enough, there's a middle-aged woman breezing by. Someone should do more research on this. Heck, I could save women the trouble of going to the doc to see if they are peri-menopausal, just let me take a whiff.;)

Anonymous

Im a 53 years old in love with a woman who is 54. we bowl , play bingo go to dinner enjoy each others company.. Both divorced could figure her out.hugs an a kiss on the forehead once in a while .cook for her do anything for her. she says she likes what we have right now . new she had hot flashes .Didnt know anything started reading about menopause now i understand .She needs afriend not a man . I told her i would wait for her.

Just because she is going through menopause dose not mean she can't have a loving relationship with a man. I have been in menopause for 6 years now. Yes there are times I don't want to be touched or touch someone else, but my hubby is my world. Maybe you are not the right man right now. Maybe you are better as a friend because that is what she needs. Maybe the divorce messed her up more then you know. Maybe she wants just to be herself for a bit. I don't know, maybe you should look somewhere else.

Anonymous

after reading this I think we should all just DIE or get a good DR who can take some of this nightmare away

Oh where is your want for adventure? Life is a great big journey. Enjoy the ride.

Anonymous

I've totally noticed a change in aroma since I started with the hot flashes, etc. My sweat smells... manly. My armpits reek like those of a hefty bloke who's just won a wrestling match unless I constantly wet-wipe and spray after every little bit of exertion; my hair is falling out (for anyone else who's having this, Lush's 'New' shampoo is helping a bit) and although evening primrose helps with the flashes, it's causing massive bloating which coupled with the hormonal weight gain is making me look like Jabba the Hutt. Also! Migraines! Panic attacks! And no sleep. What fun. But whatever, I won't be taking HRT, because really not fancying cancer much. And I'll be doing my utmost to find other things that might work and talking to as many other women having all this stuff as possible, because we need to NOT passively accept this. It was 'natural' for all sorts of things to happen to women until relatively recently in the West - like dying in childbirth, or having constant pregnancies, or having all your teeth fall out before the age of 50. 'Natural' doesn't always mean 'good'.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :