Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

The body smells very different. The skin at times smells acidic, almost like vinegar. The vagina and undies smell funky, almost like dirty socks even a few hours after washing. But it also feels very dry and irritated. And it has nothing to do with what one drinks. I don't drink sodas, beer occasionally and I don't smoke. I think it's just hormonal changes.

Yes! I have the same problem. I feel like I smell acidic. I'm not sure if it is my skin or my nose, because I smell it everywhere around me. When I first began smelling it it was at work and I thought it was my co-workers. When I changed jobs, I noticed the smell at my new office too and began to realize it was me. I ask my husband if my skin smells like vinegar and he says "no, it doesn't". So I wonder if it is something in my brain or my nose. I noticed that my sense of smell is very strong now. I smelled a rose the other day and it was like "whoa! that rose is really strong". Never had that happen before.

Some solutions have been found below. I hope you try some and that one works for you. Let us know if you find success!

Anonymous

Hi ladies,
I, too, have been dealing with this embarrassing problem for a year or so now. Products that have a scent to them, like Norforms and fragranced douches, caused me irritation and just masked the smell anyway. I became so self-conscious that I started avoiding being intimate with my husband. After much searching, I found an unscented product called Ladybits Jelly that is working well for me. It helps to balance my pH, which seems to be the source of the trouble. I also started taking a probiotic supplement, Jarrow Fem Dophilus. I use the Jelly a couple of times a week before bed and the odor is completely gone. It has helped with dryness, too. These two products are kind of expensive (about $50 a month for both), but its well worth it to have my self-confidence and my sex life back.

Where can you buy this products? Thank you.

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous

Glad to see other ladies on here that are noticing the old lady funky smell. It is just nasty. If I showered or sink bathed three times a day it might be just enough, but by morning it's back. It definitely has nothing to do with sexual activity, but something I too noticed after menopause. Hoping to hear about help for this problem.

Anonymous

I am post-menipausal and I noticed a smell when using the bathroom.It smells like something died up there. Can anyone tell me what is happening ?

Anonymous

Thank you! So glad to know I am not alone in this! 51 years old and had an aroma until recently, when I went off the Pill. I notice it when I urinate and also there is a lingering scent in my panties and on pajama bottoms. I have doubled up on my water consumption, thinking my body just need to cleanse itself better, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anonymous

So glad I read some of the comments here. I suddenly developed an unusual, foul vaginal odor that is so strong that it penetrates my clothing and I can smell it myself. So can of course others around me. It started right after my last period. I have recently started to skip periods. I had never heard of such an odor before and thought I was going crazy. Then I vaguely recalled my mother smelling this way, but I didn't think about it at the time. It doesn't surprise me that doctors are clueless about this, women's issues not being a priority. This problem with perimenopausal offensive vaginal odor unrelated to bacterial vaginosis is probably not even documented.

Menopause

Menopause Guide