Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I'm sorry, but the building I work in has tons of ladies over 60- and they all smell the same- and I find the smell unbearable. It doesn't smell rancid, it smells like a perfume or something they all use to cover up their personal scent. Yuck and Gross. And I am a woman. And it is the same smell which is very weird. But old lady smell is what I calling it. And I won't embrace it, I just hold my nose.

Rebecca Harder (reply to Anonymous)

I agree! I had my ovaries removed this year and ever since it's like I can "smell" women who are in menopause. It's like I have a weird 6th sense, kind of like drug-sniffing dogs, but with menopausal women, lol. It is an old lady smell, kind of sickeningly sweet. Every time I get a whiff of it, like at the grocery store, I quick look around and, sure enough, there's a middle-aged woman breezing by. Someone should do more research on this. Heck, I could save women the trouble of going to the doc to see if they are peri-menopausal, just let me take a whiff.;)

Anonymous

Im a 53 years old in love with a woman who is 54. we bowl , play bingo go to dinner enjoy each others company.. Both divorced could figure her out.hugs an a kiss on the forehead once in a while .cook for her do anything for her. she says she likes what we have right now . new she had hot flashes .Didnt know anything started reading about menopause now i understand .She needs afriend not a man . I told her i would wait for her.

Just because she is going through menopause dose not mean she can't have a loving relationship with a man. I have been in menopause for 6 years now. Yes there are times I don't want to be touched or touch someone else, but my hubby is my world. Maybe you are not the right man right now. Maybe you are better as a friend because that is what she needs. Maybe the divorce messed her up more then you know. Maybe she wants just to be herself for a bit. I don't know, maybe you should look somewhere else.

Anonymous

after reading this I think we should all just DIE or get a good DR who can take some of this nightmare away

Oh where is your want for adventure? Life is a great big journey. Enjoy the ride.

Anonymous

I've totally noticed a change in aroma since I started with the hot flashes, etc. My sweat smells... manly. My armpits reek like those of a hefty bloke who's just won a wrestling match unless I constantly wet-wipe and spray after every little bit of exertion; my hair is falling out (for anyone else who's having this, Lush's 'New' shampoo is helping a bit) and although evening primrose helps with the flashes, it's causing massive bloating which coupled with the hormonal weight gain is making me look like Jabba the Hutt. Also! Migraines! Panic attacks! And no sleep. What fun. But whatever, I won't be taking HRT, because really not fancying cancer much. And I'll be doing my utmost to find other things that might work and talking to as many other women having all this stuff as possible, because we need to NOT passively accept this. It was 'natural' for all sorts of things to happen to women until relatively recently in the West - like dying in childbirth, or having constant pregnancies, or having all your teeth fall out before the age of 50. 'Natural' doesn't always mean 'good'.

Try soy products for the hot flashes. I have been doing the soy thing for about 7 years now. It helps. Time will also make it help. Try and breath slowly when a hot flash comes. I had cluster of the little things. It has gotten better. Just be easy with your self.

Anonymous

It seems strange to be grateful for what I see as bad news (yes, I smell differently that I did before), but at least there are concrete actions I can take to address the issue. It has really been bothering the heck out of me.

Anonymous

While I haven't noticed any new smells, deodorants stopped working for me during peri-menopause and my body seems to jump at the chance to embarrass me with odor. Thank goodness, I was able to find Liquid Rock by Kiss My Face. It worked really well during peri-menopause but lost some of its staying power after. At first, I could skip a day (the deodorant, not the bath, and not intentionally) and still not smell. Now, I have to be sure to put it on every day. BTW, I'm really active physically. I had a friend when I was younger, who liked to say that old people smell bad. Now, I find myself vigilant in keeping odors away and it's a good thing, too. The worst thing about aging (other than wondering who that person is looking back at you in the mirror) is keeping up with the constant flow of changes. On the other hand, menopause (after 12 years of peri-menopause hell) is every bit the paradise I hoped it would be: no PMDD roller coaster and a serenity found only in dreams. Of course, I still have to deal with insomnia (soy protein helps tremendously), but it's a good trade-off.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :