Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I believe it's hormones. This makes sense. When we are of childbearing years, we must be as attractive to the opposite sex as possible. After menopause, not necessary. I received many compliments while wearing perfume (one in particular) about 15 years ago, both no more. I am 59. I believe my body chemistry has changed, along with a lot of other details! I don't know if it's pheromones , something else, or a combination thereof. All I DO know is, it isn't the same, even to me.

There's not a lot I wouldn't spend to get that "certain something" BACK, if ever the brainiacs could figure out what the hell it was!

Anonymous

To the women who are posting various remedies for washing your lady parts, you are causing more harm than good. The vagina is NOT to be washed with anything but water. Yes, it smells, but you upset the natural ph when you introduce anything but water into the area. See your GYNO. There are products made to restore and balance the ph which can be purchased OTC without a prescription, however be careful to avoid products with glycerin as they may cause a yeast infection.

Lucie

After struggling for a long time with post-menopausal underarm odor, I found this site and have tried many of the suggestions without much luck. But, finally, I found what works for me and can go all day without the offensive smell! After showering with Dial, and the most important--splash hydrogen peroxide on an unscented baby wipe or facial wipe and rub the armpits with it. It dries quickly then I use my deodorant & I like Secret Clinical Strength or Arrid XX Dry. Wow. It's been a miracle. I can go all day without smelling myself! Thanks, ladies, for all your suggestions.

Anonymous

yes this is something that has definitely happened and i used to smell like perfume so i am told lol. its really annoying i took canestan and it went but back to floral again but in a week it is definitely a menopausal thing and really annoying.

Anonymous

I underwent a complete surgical menopause at age 40 for which I take estradiol. I am now 51. Approximately 4 years after onset of menopause I began to notice that I had a strange and unpleasant odor. I tried everything and nothing worked, and in fact some products seemed to make it worse. I finally made an appointment with a GYN who specializes in post-menopausal issues and she was awesome! She explained that these symptoms are not at all uncommon and immediately prescribed Premarin cream for my vagina. This helped immediately! She also explained the PH differences of a post-menopausal vagina and recommended Aveeno oatmeal soap or other completely fragrance free produce containing moisture as to not further dry the vagina and balance the PH. Any traces of odor that were not resolved from the Premarin cream immediately went away. In combination, the cream and soap work great for me so I thought I'd share! If I run out of the Premarin and haven't made it to the pharmacy yet it comes back in about two days. If I run out of the soap it comes back within about four days so it really is a balancing act of keeping estrogen in the vagina and balancing the PH, but as long as I have both I have virtually no odor whatsoever.
Just a note: I have tried other oatmeal soap brands and they didn't work nearly as well. I don't know why Aveeno works so well but it does. Hope this helps anyone experiencing these symptoms.

Premarin is made from the urine of pregnant female horses. In order to keep the mares pregnant, baby after baby horse is born and then ruthlessly discarded. The Premarin industry treats the mares just as badly, locking them up so they can't move around. The Premarin industry is a horrid brutal industry which needs to come to an end. Please try and find a better alternative. https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrBTzjVM59Wd.AAQypXNyoA;...

CJD63 (reply to Anonymous)

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read that this woman & so many others are using Premarin. A gynecologist wanted to put me on it about 5 yrs ago, because I was having very heavy, long, painful periods (l was in my late 40s then). As miserable as I was, I knew what Premarim was made from & the cruelty to the mares & foals, so I would not use it. I'm a vegetarian (10 yrs +), & animal rights advocate. I ended up getting a complete hysterectomy almost 2 & 1/2 yrs ago (I had Endometriosis in my uterus, along with the other issues I mentioned). I have struggled since with sweating a lot more under my arms & in my crotch, with very strong odors. I get hot flashes & night sweats sooo easily. I'd love to find things to help with all of this, but not Premarin or any other products that come from animals being treated horribly. I am going to talk to another gynecologist about it, so hopefully I can find acceptable alternatives to help me smell good again. And I'm taking screen shots of the comments on here about what is working for others (other than Premarin or similar). So thanks, ladies. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. I underwent surgery and within the last 6 months noticed a chance, not un pleasant just not the same. I'm gong to give this a try. Thank you so much for such great free information.

Map (reply to Anonymous)

I use Dial soap and vinegar and it works. I soapey up my wash rag and pour about 2table spoons of white vinegar on my rag and wash all over then rinse off, it helps with my sweating also.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You are very kind to share this info, Anon. Many of our readers are desperately searching for a solution and positive experiences always help!

Menopause

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause?
Yes
79%
No
21%
Total: 694 Votes