Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I have been on this website at least 3 times now. I have read some of the new comments (What is causing my odor)? I just wanted to say that one has to take inventory of their own bodies, I did.
My vaginal odor is gone now a 100 percent for 2 months now. My GYN doctor gave me Metronidazole Vagina Jell 75%. All other odors were caused by a prolapsed bladder problem that I have, and when I have surgery that will be fixed also. Other odors: There was a strong (old people smell) in my bedroom
What could cause that I was only 56; well it was my underarms (who knew)!
And then there is the woman’s hormone smell (horrible) right. Mine comes out when I am upset.
My GYN gave me a prescription for low dose estrogen, I know I was afraid at first also, but I had no choice my body was falling apart; it is good to take it along with progesterone cream. A good company that sells it is smoky mountain naturals. The late Joan Rivers said that vodka can cover underarm odor, and it really works. Chalk coal under ware cuts down odor also. So listen to Dr OZ when you can and Always has new pads out. Take care

Anonymous

I am almost 65 and have noticed this odd smell for a few years now. I have talked to my Dr., I wash every day and even about an hour after I shower, I notice the smell already. Just can't seem to get rid of it. Don't know what to do now.

Anonymous

How do you get rid of the smell, if your in your early 60s?

C

Anonymous

I was just searching the web for this very thing. My partner can smell the post 50 funk. What causes it and how do I correct it?

Anonymous

Hello
This is just an update on my case with the smells. I wrote my story a couple of weeks ago, on (Nobody told me nothing) and I am the one who was told by this woman when I visiting her home, that she had several bathtubs and I was welcome to use one; and my granddaughter who is 3 keeps saying ( I smell something) her sense of smell is fantastic. I would run to the bathroom check everything and I could not smell anything. I recently read an article from the smell institute in Philadelphia (it said that one can’t smell themselves).
That explains it, but any who I went to the doctor and he said that my bladder walls had fallen, and not my uterus. The bladder is hanging out side my body and this is what my granddaughter and others can smell, horrible! Because of the bladder, my rectum muscles’ have gone weak and cause fecal leakage…what a deal I got two for one. My doctor prescribed for me (Metronidazole Vaginal Gel) and that has cut back on 80 percent of the smells. He also prescribed estrogen spray in which I will pick up soon. I will have to have bladder surgery and I hope I will be back to normal after that. Take care (Keep smiling)

Anonymous

Hi! I am 45 and the odor started to change last march.I still have my period but the scent of my period and my discharge changed.I can't say it is foul it is just different from the way it used to be.My partner does not notice.I never had infections or anything in the past.Does the odor change prior to menopause.Did anyone of you experienced this?Thank you

Anonymous

I am glad I'm not alone!!!!, I'm 44 and around the time of my cycle ( which is every 22 days for the last 8 months) I notice a odor right before my cycle that I think is horrible, But I'm the only one who smells it, My Dr. doesn't smell it, My Husband doesn't smell it & it's driving me crazy, all tests have come back negative for any infections and I HATE THIS!!!

Anonymous

Oddly, my underarm scent and my genital scent is basically gone. What I have in its place is an oily area between my breasts that isn't necessarily bad, but it borders on unpleasant. The oiliness is the most surprising part. My husband will do laundry and he says, "I know whose it it by smell (My daughter's bras and shirts, compared to mine).

Anonymous

I have found that if you wear only natural cloth like 100% cotton, silk or linen blouses, this works wonders for hot flashes and funk...Stay away from synthetic materials like polyester that doesn't allow the skin to breathe.... use ONLY ivory soap, dove soap or any intimate cleansing soap for DOWN THERE...anything else is going to throw the pH balance off and then you have got instant crotch rot...
Also, refreshing in shower: cut half lemon, smear all ovet then rinse....in summertime I usually carry wet washcloth (with/without soap) for quick pick-me-up..and lastly, always always carry intimate cleansing cloths in your make up bag...sincerely, Your Sweating Sister..lol

Anonymous

Wow. Hugs and kisses to you all. I am in good company. I thought I was the ONLY person in the world that had this problem! Its embarrassing, not to mention uncomfortable: hot flashes, sudden anger, dry vagina, overall grumpiness, and that age old favorite: the brain fart (forgetfulness). Before I go to the store, I write a list of just a few items. If I dont, when I get in the store I will forget what im in there for! Its funny at times, at other times, no. I will try to tske trains and buses when its not crowded...very self conscious about body odors....but im riding this wave like a champ because theres no other choice. ..thank you everyone.God Bless You.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause?
Yes
75%
No
25%
Total: 298 Votes