Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

I am 63, startec menopause 10 yrs ago, hate everything about it, prior to that i looked young, then a few months into menopause ppl started treating me differently, I v quickly looked years older. Last night heard myself described as an "old lady" even though I do my best to look young and dress youthfully, I do no want to look old, I like Japanese vocaloid MMD videos and would like to make my own, collect some of the figurines like Black Rock Shooter, etc, I have interests that only young ppl usually are interested in, not because I'm forcing myself to be interested in things like that, but because I just am naturally. I'm not interested in things that most ppl my age are interested in. I don't fit in anywhere, no longer look or smell the same so get treated differently, ppl treat me like a funny old eccentric woman instead of me, with my unique personality, all that is ignored, in the eyes of the world, I'm just 'old'. I hate it, have no friends, except one man years older than me fdwho treats me badly and he has strong interest in really young girls I recently discovered so don't even like being in his company but have had to rely on him for certain things becasue there is no one else, I have tried so hard to make friends, have sought help from so called professionals, can't walk properly anymore, try to walk fast but can't, i am terrified, have no one to rely on, want to enjoy life, nobody cares about me except me myself. I want to look like me again, not just like an old woman, even without all the obvious signs of age, there are obviously still giveaways, probably the way I walk , upper arms loose flesh, squared off jawline droopy eyes, old lady smell, even sweet candy vanilla type scents seem to end up as the old lady cologne smell. Nature is trying very hard to make me as unattractive as possible in every way possible because no longer fertile and heaven forbid anyone of the opposite sex should still be interested in a woman over 50 let alone over 60, not that I want anyone ,i don't, but the fact that from being seen as young and desirable , i went from that, to straight to being old and undesirble in the eyes of the world. it is all so depressing. i used to be told , if you think things are bad now, wait until you get older! it gets even worse then! I now know what they mean!

Yep, I indeed know where you're coming from. I'm sixty and I began "feeling myself disappear" when I entered my fiftys, I am now all but gone. America is a very hard country to grow old in if you're a womam.

Anonymous

OMG, I thought there was something wrong with me. Why don't woman discuss this issue? Started menopause at age 48. I had breast cancer at age 50. After a bi-lateral Mastectomy & 8 rounds of chemo I was slammed into menopause. Severe Mood swings, hot flashes but most importantly my vagina shrunk. Now at a young age of 62 I find intercourse to be very painful and to be brutally honest I smell like dead fish down there!! Talked to my friend about this and she told me it was a lack of estrogen, so I immediately refilled my prescription for the Estring ring. Voila, within 3 days the nasty odor dissipated & intercourse isn't as painful. I purchased it online at Planet Dugs Direct for $98.00 (lasts 3 months) here in the good old USA they wanted $400.00. I also have tried every lubricant out there, astroglide, etc and found the only thing that works for me is raw, organic coconut oil. So I will continue with the ring even though my Breast Cancer was Estrogen positive, my oncologist stated this WAS THE SAFEST method out there. Hubby is happy & the cat doesn't steal my panties anymore, lol! Good luck ladies and PLEASE whatever you do DON'T let your Dr. talk you into HRT!!

I would try this immediately if I didn't think it was a huge risk. I fear the hormones would just Stoke my cancer cells (metastic breast cancer for ten years). Having no estrogen sucks in more ways than I ever anticipated. I will ask my doctor. At some of int though, quality of life is going to win out over prolonged life. I just have to get the kids self sufficient. Then I want my body back, without strange smells, painful sex and bladder infections galore.

Anon

"Hubby is happy & the cat doesn't steal my panties anymore, lol! "

That is so brutally honest, but gross, but funny, I laughed out loud! You're hilarious!

Thanks for your Share, I hope it helps other women going through this.

Thank you so much for your honesty. I'm just a little weirded out at the change in smells in so many places. I had that vaginal fishy smell for a while. Don't know exactly why it went away but that was such a drag while it lasted. I determined it had something to do with my husband not completely clearing out the sperm after ejaculation. That last little bit left inside would go fishy after a few hours. Then there was a transfer of whatever that bacteria was that multiplied in his body. I have him make sure he washes first and no more fishy smelly in my silk purse anymore! Now I have a thick, kind of medicinal smell to my urine that kinda reminds me of, back when I had babies, how a disposable diaper smelled first thing in the morning. I'll post that question separately, too. By the way, You Made Me Laugh, funny lady. I lived in the tropics for a few months and the little ants literally ate holes, overnight, in my dirty underwear. I never left them out again.

Anonymous

I believe it's hormones. This makes sense. When we are of childbearing years, we must be as attractive to the opposite sex as possible. After menopause, not necessary. I received many compliments while wearing perfume (one in particular) about 15 years ago, both no more. I am 59. I believe my body chemistry has changed, along with a lot of other details! I don't know if it's pheromones , something else, or a combination thereof. All I DO know is, it isn't the same, even to me.

There's not a lot I wouldn't spend to get that "certain something" BACK, if ever the brainiacs could figure out what the hell it was!

I commented just now, but it doesn't appear to have shown up, so apoiogies if it appears twice, :

This is EXACTLY my problem! This is the first time I have ever heard anyone who explains it this way. I too had a favorite perfume which I still wear but receive no compliments anymore!

Anonymous

To the women who are posting various remedies for washing your lady parts, you are causing more harm than good. The vagina is NOT to be washed with anything but water. Yes, it smells, but you upset the natural ph when you introduce anything but water into the area. See your GYNO. There are products made to restore and balance the ph which can be purchased OTC without a prescription, however be careful to avoid products with glycerin as they may cause a yeast infection.

Menopause

Menopause Guide