ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

I'm so happy to have stumbled across this website . I'm not alone

I am 51 and haven't noticed any odor in the vaginal area but my arm pits STINK lately! It smells like a garbage can, I can't stand it! I saw above to apply witch hazel to the armpits I am going to try that.

to Anonymous about arm pits smell. Have you tried making your own deodorant with baking soda, coconut oil and lavender e.o.? It really works. Years, before menopause I started to have a skunky smell and tried everything!! The only thing that worked and still does is what I mentioned above. Look online for DIY deodorant recipes.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Witch hazel is a good idea, also consider lemon juice or tea tree oil, both are natural deodorants. Let us know what works for you, it could really help our readers.

I am 54 and had no monthly period for almost 2years. Just recently I noticed a different vaginal odor but I got no discharge. I am on an anti bacterial medication (nasal inflammation) at present and was amazed to discover that the odor suddenly disappeared . So I guess unknowingly, i had a bacterial infection down there . But this forum is very helpful and gives relief. Thank you to all.☺

Yes it smells like something died in there. It did, my sex life :)

I thought it was just me!!!no point mincing words...I stink."downstairs" as my sister used to say and I find my head sweats and smells a bit like sour milk mixed with stinky socks.My mum never smelled when she was my age and neither do my two sisters.Ive gained quite a bit of weight and was blaming it on that but after reading this forum Im staring to think its my age.yuk! Ive actually noticed my husband smells different than he did so maybe its not just women!

i find the smell a turn on at times . i am worried something is wrong should i worry i am 44 and went throught The menapuase 3 years ago

My mum.started going through menapause at 40 and so did I, maybe it can be a genetic thing but its quite normal, I am now 51 and have not seen anything for couple of years although I was on mini pill so I dont know when I stopped my periods.

Thank god I found this I was thinking I was going through this alone .....oh my it is a funky smell & no amount of bathing helps I am 54 & in my 5th year of menopause. I HATE it sweats stink really us ladies get a rough deal !

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause?
Total: 630 Votes