ask: Do women smell different after menopause?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

yes this is something that has definitely happened and i used to smell like perfume so i am told lol. its really annoying i took canestan and it went but back to floral again but in a week it is definitely a menopausal thing and really annoying.

I underwent a complete surgical menopause at age 40 for which I take estradiol. I am now 51. Approximately 4 years after onset of menopause I began to notice that I had a strange and unpleasant odor. I tried everything and nothing worked, and in fact some products seemed to make it worse. I finally made an appointment with a GYN who specializes in post-menopausal issues and she was awesome! She explained that these symptoms are not at all uncommon and immediately prescribed Premarin cream for my vagina. This helped immediately! She also explained the PH differences of a post-menopausal vagina and recommended Aveeno oatmeal soap or other completely fragrance free produce containing moisture as to not further dry the vagina and balance the PH. Any traces of odor that were not resolved from the Premarin cream immediately went away. In combination, the cream and soap work great for me so I thought I'd share! If I run out of the Premarin and haven't made it to the pharmacy yet it comes back in about two days. If I run out of the soap it comes back within about four days so it really is a balancing act of keeping estrogen in the vagina and balancing the PH, but as long as I have both I have virtually no odor whatsoever.
Just a note: I have tried other oatmeal soap brands and they didn't work nearly as well. I don't know why Aveeno works so well but it does. Hope this helps anyone experiencing these symptoms.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. I underwent surgery and within the last 6 months noticed a chance, not un pleasant just not the same. I'm gong to give this a try. Thank you so much for such great free information.

Map (reply to Anonymous)

I use Dial soap and vinegar and it works. I soapey up my wash rag and pour about 2table spoons of white vinegar on my rag and wash all over then rinse off, it helps with my sweating also.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You are very kind to share this info, Anon. Many of our readers are desperately searching for a solution and positive experiences always help!

I'm so happy to have stumbled across this website . I'm not alone

I am 51 and haven't noticed any odor in the vaginal area but my arm pits STINK lately! It smells like a garbage can, I can't stand it! I saw above to apply witch hazel to the armpits I am going to try that.

to Anonymous about arm pits smell. Have you tried making your own deodorant with baking soda, coconut oil and lavender e.o.? It really works. Years, before menopause I started to have a skunky smell and tried everything!! The only thing that worked and still does is what I mentioned above. Look online for DIY deodorant recipes.

I have found over the years that I need to change my deodorant brand every couple of years. I think my body must get used to it. I just changed my deodorant recently because I was starting to have underarm odor again and it's fine now!

Witch hazel is a good idea, also consider lemon juice or tea tree oil, both are natural deodorants. Let us know what works for you, it could really help our readers.

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause?
Total: 656 Votes