Do you agree with the new Boston ban of selling tobacco in drugstores?

By December 14, 2008 - 7:44pm

Boston will be banning drugstores from selling tobacco products in a few months, and will also ban the sale of cigarettes on college campuses.

What do you think about entire States banning the sale of tobacco products?

What do you think about universities and colleges banning the sale of tobacco products to its students (who are typically 18-22 years of age)?

I live in a city that has banned indoor public smoking, and I LOVE it! I can go to a restaurant, bar, bowling alley, pool hall and not have to take a shower the second I get home (my hair seems to soak up the smoke in these places!).

I can share my politically correct answer and say that our freedoms which are protected by the Constitution should continue to be respected and allow the sale of toxic subtances in any drugstore and as such, protect the rights of smokers. But as a healthcare professional, I will say that I feel very strongly about imposing restrictions to the sale of tobacco and its derivative products. I'd like to see a universal system of care that considers high risk behaviors and makes provisions to pass the cost of medical care to those individuals who regard their own health with minimum concern. Tobacco users know the consequences of using the product, still they insist on putting those toxins in their system and exposing others to second hand smoking. Tobacco chewing is another health problem that causes mouth cancer among younger users.

Despite all of the above personal concerns, I think local governments need to find ways to curve down the access to tobacco products and find ways to hold businesses accountable for contributing to the high cost of providing healthcare to individuals who smoke. One way is to pass laws such as the one in Boston. Drugstores rely on big profit margins generated by alcohol and tobacco sales, but are not held responsible to sharing on the high cost of treating chronic illnesses resulting from the use of those products. Why should the tax payer pay for those who end up with COPD, lung cancer, etc due to their smoking habits? I prefer to see the drugstore sharing on the cost, and if they do not want this, then they should eliminate tobacco from their inventory.

If second hand smoke didn't cause illness or disease I wouldn't be so adamant about it. But yes, I think banning smoking from indoor places is a great idea.

As far as students (typically ages 18-22) no, I very much disagree with banning the sale of cigarettes to them. Not only have universities profited hugely from cigarette companies in the recent past (long after they knew of the dangers) but smoking is legal. I began university later than the average person (and was a smoker, too!). I paid my own way, worked a full-time job all the way through and owned my own home - the notion of not being "allowed" to buy cigarettes is ridiculous! Way too Big Brother for me! Smoking is still legal. I think that smokers should smoke away from others but until it's banned completely, we have no right to infringe on people's rights. It may be the right to be foolish, but we have that right.

This makes my Republican side come out! HA!

Incidentally, your post is timely. I was looking around for venues for my son's birthday in a couple of months and the only reason I didn't choose a fun bowling alley was because even though smoking is allowed at night only, during the day the place reeks. I was with him at a party a while back and it stank to high heavens. No way would I have the party there and the smoking is the only reason.

Breathing Conditions

Breathing Conditions Guide