ask: Do You Have Side Effects Caused By Mirena IUD

By net September 26, 2008 - 4:45am

If you have side effects caused by mirena please let me know,I have
I started a help site for women with mirena side effects at
to help,give advice,imformation,pictures,links.
Please feel free to have a look.

I had the Mirena inserted in Sept 2012. Previously I had been on the pill for many years however at the time of getting the Mirena I had been free of synthetic hormones for over a year. My periods were so regular I could predict them to the hour, bleeding was heavy(ish) but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary, slight stomach cramps but, again, nothing that worried me.

I got the mirena implanted due to my then boyfriend being "unable to use condoms"...that age old excuse. I wasn't about to put myself at his mercy and as I worked differing shifts felt the pill wouldn't suit.

So there I to the docs....thinking THIS WILL CHANGE MY LIFE!!! Oh it did that, but not for the better. The insertion itself was horrific...I have no kids and my cervix had to be stretched. No one told me how horrifically painful this would be. I nearly fainted and had to be taken home by a taxi even though I stayed a 3 minute walk away. For the next 3 weeks I was doubled over in agony. Thats normal...i was told. I bled but not too much.

In the next 2 and a half years I suffered from brain fogginess, anxiety, constant discharge, a period every month (albeit lighter than I'd had), headaches, tearfulness, acne and I could feel it whenever I sneezed, sat down, stood up. Sex with my now boyfriend became painful for reasons I won't go into on here, so I decided to have it removed.

Before I could book an appointment with the Family Planning Clinic the coil decided to expell itself. I was sent to an out of hours gp who couldn't help and as such got an emergency appointment at an FPU clinic in Jan this year.

I decided there and then to let my cycle return to normal before deciding which contraception suited us both.

My periods were regular for 3 months slightly heavier and more painful. I then skipped a period in April. In the middle of May I had excruciating pain in my left side, doubled over in the space of 5 minutes, shaking, feeling sick. It passed after top grade cocodamol was taken and I thought...I'll keep an eye on that. I bled heavily a week after.

I had the same pain while at a function whereby my boyfriend had to carry me to our room. Again bled heavily the next day.

I have been back and forward to the doctors, had ultrasounds and blood tests. I have a slightly enlarged left ovary. This may not seem important to some however my mum had to have a radical hysterectomy aged 40 (5 years older that I am now) due to an undiagnosed ovarian cyst. Blood results show increased levels of a protein linked to ovarian cancer (and other conditions I might add) and my doc thinks that I could have endometriosis also. I have been rushed an appointment through for gynaecology.

As my mum had such a drastic result of her cyst I've always monitored and kept on top of any changes regarding my cycle, pain, etc. I am utterly convinced that the complications I am suffering are due to the mirena coil. I would never in a million years recommend this to my worst enemy as a for of contraception. Had any of these symptoms been made clear to me (even with the extensive research I'd done before having it inserted) I would never have gotten it. I only hope that the fact my doctor has been on the ball and things have moved swiftly that I can get a concrete diagnosis and treatment as soon as I can.

I have had the Marena for seven years. The first one was great I only experienced a bacteria infection. Two years after having my second Marena I had a terrible bacteria infection following that I got a UTI then immediately following that I got a yeast infection. I suffered six long weeks of sickness. I had abdominal pain throughout the entire sickness. I finally had a pelvic ultrasound and the doctor said I have a cyst on my ovaries. There's a possibility it could be endometriosis. I believe the Marena was the cause of the bacteria and yeast infections, UTI also my ovarian cyst.

I was on the Mirena for a year and a half. I felt like I was bloated all the time kinda like you do before your period starts except this never stopped and I didn't have a period other than spotting ever once in a while. I also had numbness in my thigh and tingling at times. I had miagranes which I never had till I was on this birth control. I felt depressed and hopeless many days. I didn't want to do anything much except nap and when you have kids that's not an option. I gained almost 20 lbs while on this and could not lose weight no matter how hard I tried. So I was fed up and went this morning to my Dr and had it removed. It did not hurt at all, it was just uncomfortable of course. So hopefully I will start feeling better soon! I am looking forward to the future for the first time in a long time!

Thank for doing this, seems very necessary! I had my Mirena IUD removed only yesterday and couldn't be happier without it (so far no Mirena crash). I wish I had known in advance what was awaiting me though... I knew a few ladies with Mirena, each very content. Unfortunately, I have experience a wide range of side effects. It ended up being a nightmare and I wish I had never done it. I suffered from terrible fatigue (I'm talking here sleeping 12-15 hours a day, yet remaining exhausted), disturbing nightmares, bad acne, oily hair, lower back pain, lower abdominal pain, pain when making sudden movements or sneezing, breast tenderness and immensely frequent urination. Plus an ovarian cyst, which after having grown bigger within weeks, was recommended to remove surgically.

Having spent A LOT of money on ultrasounds, cancer tests (the cyst), acne products etc. I decided to remove it after 3 months. Unfortunately the strings went missing. It was very scary, but with a great gyn it went smoothly, and after having been on a pill for 2 weeks only, everything is back to normal, including disappearance of the cyst.

Hi there,
I live in Manchester UK. I had the Mirena in May 2012 by advice if my ISIS centre Dr who advised me that the pills I had been taking were not as advanced at helping me with my heavy periods as the Mirena.

The insertion was painful (I have a tilted womb) and I was told "that's nothing compared to labour love"- what a contraceptive in itself!

By the time I got home I was doubled over in pain, light headed and nauseous. I got a hot water bottle, some pain relief and headed to bed.

The next few days the pain got worse and I was admitted to a&e with a bad infection. They tried to use a speculum to examine me but the whole area was to swollen and painful that I refused. I was given an antibiotic IV and many scans and told by the many hospital staff who also had this IUD that it would settle down.

I was discharged the next afternoon and referred to my local GUM department.

Fast forward 6 months!!!!! Still hasn't "settled down" I was bloated, always in pain and miserable. I had an ultrasound to see where the Dr told me I had 2 Cysts 6cm each and lots of fluid from an infection. She removed the Mirena with ease and she said I would be asked back in a few weeks to check size of the cysts. When I returned they were gone.

Within 5 days of the Mirena being removed all abdominal swelling was gone, pain gone, bowel movements and urinating were easy and I lost 5lbs without changing diet or exercise.

I still suffer from Endemetrioma cysts which I had NEVER had before this IUD.

I have the mirena iud for 2 and half years. About the beginning of this year i got really bad cramping in my lower right abdomin and thought it was my appendix. Went to dr and said its not that. Then go to the gyne and said the simptomes im haveing is normal and that i have a cyst. He gave me meds and said if the pain comes back or continue he wants to do an exploratory surgery... My side effects: nausea, abdominal pain, back pain, pain in my right side, dizziness, foods i always eat makes me sick, headaches. I am doing pregnancy tests every so often just to be sure and always negative. I want to get it removed but unfortunately circumstances do not allow it at this time. Any info or help to what it might be please.

I recently got mirena inserted at the end of June. About 2 weeks ago (beginning of August) I noticed a constant brain fog, then horrible spouts of dizzy spells. I also have experience a knotting pain near my pelvic bone, depression, tingling is hands and legs, memory loss and very low tolerance to alcohol. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Also I wonder if anyone who had mirena in for a short amount of time like me noticed a change in symptoms quickly after being removed? I'm having my taken out Thursday and counting down the hours until this horrible thing is gone. If anyone can share their post-mirena experience that would be great! I will as well once removed in 72 hours!

I've had Mirena for a little over 3 years. Throughout the 3 years I used maybe 3-5 tampons total, only needed liners. Last month I went through a box of tampons in 3 days and I'm having lots of cramping and just feeling off. I am planning on having it taken out in a month. What can I expect after removal?

Kped22 (reply to Anonymous)

How do you feel after having the mirena removed?

I had the mirena inserted after the birth of my 4th child on drs advice. I had it removed after 3 years. Within a month of removal I was in great pain and went to the ER where they found a tennis ball size ovarian cyst. Was referred to get it removed. When they did the laparoscopy my insides were a mess. It was discovered I had an endometrioma and endometriosis all over the left fallopian tube which had to removed along with my left ovary. I had never had any reproductive issues and conceived 4 children, including twins, very easily. I believe the mirena iud caused these problems.

How do you control your PMS?: