Sleep Disorders

Sleep Disorders Guide

ask: Do you nap?

By Bargain Lover

Do you nap?

I don't because I don't feel well for the rest of the day, if I nap. And it also takes me so long to relax that by the time I was ready to fall asleep, it'd be time to get up.

Napping is not really an option for me but if it were, I could only nap for a maximum of 15 minutes. If I took even only a 30-45 minute nap, I'd be groggy for the remainder of the day.

Yet I know some people can take a 30 minute 'power nap' and be really energized afterwards.

I wonder why naps work for some, and don't for others?

Diane Porter

I find a huge difference between a nap that lasts 30 minutes vs. a nap that lasts longer than that. If I sleep 20 to 30 minutes, I will need just about 5 minutes to wake up and I'll feel refreshed and ready to go. Let it go over 30 minutes, and I am gone for two hours, and then it takes an hour to wake up. I think I get into a much heavier level of sleep cycle with a nap that goes more than half an hour, and it's very difficult to shake off.

I have a friend who is a doctor who can actually power nap for 10 minutes in his office! I envy this!!

Tina Tran

I like the idea of napping but found that it disrupts my sleep at night if I've already slept seven or eight hours.

If I'm really tired (or sick) nothing is more blissful. If I try to force a nap, then it's pure torture.

alysiak

At my age and level of activity, I need a short nap some time in the afternoon. Until recently, I worked from home and could take my nap around the same time of day and feel refreshed. Now that I have to commute to my client site, it's impossible to take that little "cat nap," and I find I'm dozing off at my desk around the same time of day that my naps would have been. So, I take one as soon as I get home, for about 20-30 minutes.

This day and age, we're just too busy and sleep deprived for our own good. A little nap has been proven beneficial to many:

National Sleep Foundation

The Benefits of Naps

Benefits of Power Napping

Do you keep electronics out of your bedroom to help you sleep?
No. I watch TV in bed and still sleep fine.
32%
No. I should but I need my phone with me.
33%
No. I don't sleep well but can't sleep at all without TV.
19%
Yes. I miss TV, my phone and laptop but I sleep better without them.
5%
Yes. But so far my sleep is worse. Have to get used to the change I guess.
2%
Yes. My sleep is so much better now.
10%
Total: 63 Votes