Do you think I have albinism?

I lack all melanin in my skin, have light blue eyes, and have a light shade of brown hair. I freckle a little but not much. I have to put on lots of sunscreen in order to not get sun burnt. I also have bad vision problems (astigmatism, farsightedness, etc.). The sun almost always hurts my eyes, so I have to squint. Do you think I have albinism?

Genetic testing offers the most accurate way to diagnose albinism. Such testing is helpful if you have a family history of albinism. It is also useful for certain groups of people who are known to get the disease.

Your doctor may also diagnose the condition based on the appearance of your skin, hair, and eyes. An ophthalmologist should perform a electroretinogram test, which can reveal vision problems related to albinism. A visual evoked potentials test can be very useful when the diagnosis is uncertain.

Albinism Guide