Arthritis

Arthritis Guide

ask: does the abdomen protrude with severe osteoporosis?

By bitsy

I have lost over three inches in height and lost 15 pounds, but my abdomen protrudes. I am not bent over and I am able to hold my back and shoulders erect. My T-score is -4.3.

Pat Elliott

Hi bitsy - Yes, the body can go through these changes with osteoporosis. Disfiguring kyphosis (dowager's hump) is usually related to multiple wedge fractures of the dorsal vertebrae (spine). Abdominal protrusion, which occurs as a consequence of kyphosis, is an unrecognized aspect of osteoporosis. Height loss occurring as a consequence of vertebral fractures is one of the most distressing aspects of osteoporosis to many women. You can find more information here:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/393602-overview