Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Does anyone have any experience using the HCG Weight Loss plan?

By nanashana

I've just met with my doctor about my weight gain. Last year about this time, I went into menopause. I stopped having my period, stopped sleeping through the night, lost a lot of hair, my skin went dry, I noticed patches of brown spots appearing on my face and hands, I lost my interest in intimacy with my husband, I forgot simple things like "why did I walk into this room again?", I was irritable, and I gained about 20 pounds! It was about this time that I read a book by Suzanne Somers called "Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness." She talked about using bio-identical hormone replacement therapy and in a rhythmic dosage rather than a static dosage. I talked to my doctor about it and she prescribed an estriol cream to be taken vaginally 1-2x per week as needed, and a progesterone cream to be taken for two weeks on and two weeks off. She also prescribed melatonin and 5htp to help me sleep. I'd also read about L-Arginine to help with hot flashes. Those things helped but didn't fully alleviate my symptoms so I kept doing research on menopause and it's symptoms. I found a method of dosage and delivery for bio-identical hormone replacement therapy called The Wiley Protocol and asked my doctor about it. She had JUST heard about it herself. So, we agreed to embark on the adventure of trying it to help me. So far it's worked to alleviate all of my symptoms with the exception of my WEIGHT! ARg.

So, I went through the same steps of research and found a hormone called HCG for weight loss, did my homework and learned that my own doctor prescribes it! Thus, starting tomorrow, I will be injecting myself with this hormone that is only produced by pregnant women. Ironically, two other women in my office are also starting this very weight loss plan this week. I'm just looking for others online who have had experience with this and what they have to say about it.

nanashana (reply to brenda.yaw)

I inject intermuscular, where there is no fat, since that's how my doctor taught me but from what I'm learning, it's effective either way. I've never given myself, or anyone else, a shot before either. I actually feel empowered and equipped now. I'm gonna start giving myself B12 shots when I'm done with the HCG. But you can also choose to do sublingual (under the tongue) drops, which is what my husband will end up doing since he's squeamish about shots. That's also effective.

Anonymous (reply to brenda.yaw)

Hi Brenda,
I give myself the shots in my stomach. I just grab a pinch of skin and do it in the most fatty area. You can also do it on your inner thigh or butt. Since you're using a diabetic needle it's not so bad. You want to make sure to rotate the area you give yourself the shot and not do it in the same place over and over, because you will develop a callus under the skin. I usually move about 2 inches around my belly button, or further out on my belly flap area. Once the nedles in I tend to inject slowly and move the needle around slightly to inject in a circle type motion.
Hope this helps!
Jen

nanashana

Well, I'm on Day 15 and have already lost 8.2lbs. I haven't felt hungry as often as I did when I wasn't dieting. I have had energy (and I needed it) and though you're not supposed to used any lotions or creams on this diet, my skin is soft and my lips never chap. I've found a community of HCGers on youtube who are so supportive that I think this might turn out to be a lifestyle. I've learned how important it is to eat wholesome healthy non-processed foods. I am finding new and wonderful ways to eat vegetables and fruit. It's been an amazing journey and it's not over yet!

Diane Porter (reply to nanashana)

Nanashana,

Very glad to hear from you and get your update. Are you eating just 500 calories a day? Are you taking appetite suppressants? Are you eating three meals a day?

nanashana (reply to Diane Porter)

When doing injections, I'm on a 500 calorie a day diet, but my body is being infused with as much as 3000 calories from my fat reserves. The HCG metabolizes your body's fat as food for yourself. That's why you don't need appetite suppressants. You aren't hungry. Dr. Simeon's suggests only tea or coffee for breakfast and the rest of the calories for lunch and dinner. Sometimes I'll have one of my fruit servings for breakfast though.

Diane Porter

HCG is short for human chorionic gonadotropin, the hormone found in pregnant women's urine. The diet uses drastically reduced calories and daily injections of HCG.

Here's a bit of how it works, from "How Stuff Works:"

HCG may play many roles, but one function it performs is guaranteeing that a developing fetus receives the calories and nutrients it needs to grow, nearly independent of the daily caloric intake of the pregnant woman in those early developmental months. How does it do this?

We aren't ravenous for fatty foods for no reason. Our bodies like to maximize caloric intake in case lean times are ahead. In the case of women, excess calories tend to wind up in "problem" areas such as the hips, buttocks, abdomen and thighs. However, once pregnant, fat from these areas is released in the presence of hCG, and this fat then makes its way to the fetus. This way, if a woman doesn't consume the nutrients needed for fetal growth, her fat reserves will suffice. (Structural fat, such as that found in the face or layered beneath the entire skin, isn't affected.)

And:

In addition to receiving shots, dieters are instructed to cut their daily intake of calories to 500 a day, but not until after the third shot. Once the hCG is active in a dieter's body, its release of long-stored fat provides the body with the calories it needs to burn to get through a day (a day, it should be noted, without much exercise). As long as fat deposits are being released for use, the 500 daily calories being ingested is supposed to be enough to sustain the dieter without the crazy hunger pangs one would normally experience on a 500-calorie diet. Once a dieter drops the excess weight, the treatment must stop, because hCG only affects stored fat. Once that's used up, the body will quickly reject a self-imposed limit of 500 total daily calories.

If you would like to read more:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/health-illness/wellness/physical-fitness...

babygirl

Get the full Simeon Protocol, its available on the internet, and Kevin Trudeau's book Natural Cures, offers some current subsitutions. B-12 Injections boost energy and help with fat burning, and is a combination of B vitamins- I used to take B12 when I was rebuilding my immune system. I am not familiar with the idea of apple day or steak day- I used the Simeon, a 500 calorie a day diet, and certainly completed phases 3 and 4. I also used the yerba mate tea, from Kevin's book. Do the research for the best results, the shots will give you good results, but completely following the protocol will reset your fat burner for life...

Anonymous (reply to babygirl)

If we are reading the same manual "Pounds and inches" then you should know there is a section on "apple days" and steak days, so you might re-read the manual, you may have missed that part.

nanashana

What is the B12 Lipo injections? I haven't yet heard of that. I'm hearing things like "apple day" for plateaus and "steak day" for something to do with Phase 3, but nothing about B12 Lipo injections.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :