Does anyone have any information on using a pessary for a cystocele?

By October 2, 2008 - 1:04pm

Anonymous

I use a pessary for uterine, bladder and rectocele. I always dread taking it out. I can grab it okay, but I can't twist and fold it on the way out, and as said above in a comment, "it is like birthing a Frisbee!" It keeps hitting on something near the urethra. It really hurts!
I started PT as well. I'm learning some really important things like I have no glute muscles, don't turn my left hip back when I walk, and I am breathing all wrong. Even getting in and out of bed I am relearning.
I dreaded putting my pessary back in, as I would eventually have to take it back out! I could really identify what muscles the PT was working on. It all started to go south in two weeks and I couldn't hold things up by myself. Back in with the pessary. .....
The thing I just don't get is why this, which seems like a hernia to me, is not recognized as being a work comp issue?
I have to lift often, and occasionally up to 70lbs.
I got two inguinal hernias from boxes, and no question that they were repaired due to lifting.
When my manageable cystocele became a uterine prolapse upon lifting a 65 pound box, all of the sudden it could not be from work, in the doctor's opinions. It was from having babies! Why if the men at work, lifting the same box had hernias that were covered, but my prolapse, which became unmanageable , is not?

Anonymous

Within the first 24 hours of wearing a pessary for uterine prolapse. I barely was able to remove it at Dr's office. It took many tries, bc it is so hard for me to grip. I might try string idea. Also my Dr. says I can leave it in for 2 weeks, but I am very uncomfortable trying to fall asleep. I feel like I can't relax with it in? I don't know. I know I can't get it back in. I'm young, only 38 but my wrists are the weakest link after my prolapse and it is just a monumental task. I tried so hard at the office but I couldn't do it. I'm stressing but it is really nice to see other women on here talking about their experience with the pessary. Thank you.

I have tried 3 pessary's and none have worked for me.There's much pain,my doctor has changed the size and the type.I was told by 3 doctors i have rectocele and cystocele.This has been going on since February with no relief.I cannot go for long rides or even sit in a chair very long.I go lay down in my bed.Now the doctor want me to have pelvic floor therapy.I don't really think that is the problem.I have no problem with my bladder leaking.It has dropped but no one wants to do surgery.This has changed my whole life,I'm not the same person.Being in pain can wear a person down and that's what this has done to me.I feel hopeless.Maybe some of you have had this and can help me
Thank you

Anonymous (reply to howin674)

If you ever happened to have surgery. One piece of awesome advice I can give you is Do not let them put any kind of mesh in you. Talking from experience. You can try making your own pessary out of bees wax. Also you can look at sea sponges. I know what you are going through and have tried millions of things. Have you tried the donut pessary? The number 1. If not ask your doctor if you can start with that one. Anyhow let me know on your search and if you found anything that helped you..

Anonymous

I am so glad my idea helped you. The string. I just replace my string
from tampon every now and then, but I do wash soak it often with soap,
hydrogen peroxide etc.

I could not use my pessary If I did not have a string.....

(reply to Anonymous)

Would you please tell me what kind of knot you used to tie the string to the pessary. I have had a pessary since 2011 with good success, however, I am having some difficulty removing it as I have arthritis in my right hand and I am having trouble grasping the pessary with my fingers . Do you experience pain when removing it?

Anonymous (reply to dery)

I just used tampon string, but as one lady suggested dental floss is good
too . After feeling a little more confident about getting my pessary out.
I went to a little shorter string, so that it was not in my pee and poop.
Just join both ends of string together, evenly, and twirl your fingers
just like a sewing knot. Then pull to make sure tightened, That knot holds up well..... I got a kiegel device, it has like fishing wire type string
on it. But I wanna be able to find mine.... so it does not get lost..ha ha

(reply to Anonymous)

Thank you. I will try the dental floss as I do not have tampon string. You did not mention if there is any pain on removal . I always find it a little uncomfortable to remove. +

Anonymous (reply to dery)

it might help just to insert a little gel first. Use a little estrogen creme if it is ok for you. It help keeps vaginal walls plyable.

Anonymous

I AM AN ACTIVE 78 YR OLD...RIDING MY HORSE, MOVING 100 LB BALES OF HAY, ETC. 7 MONTHS AGO I DEVELOPED PROLAPSE SYMPTOMS WHICH I TOLERATED UNTIL THE INCONTINENCE GOT OUT OF CONTROL!! PRINARY DR REfERED ME TO A GYNECOLOGIST. I LEARNED MORE FROM INTERNET THAN FROM HER!!! I THEN WENT TO ANOTHER GYNECOLOGIST WHO WAS SO HELPFUL!! WITH PREVIOUS BLEEDING, EXAM SHOWED MY CLAWING AT PESSARY TO REMOVE IT CAUSED THE BLEEDING! THE INTERNET'S 'STRING- TIED- TO- PESSARY REMEDY WAS SO HELPFUL! THE DR TOLD ME TO USE THIS METHOD BUT WARNED I MUST REMOVE STRING FROM PESSARY DURING NIGHTLY REMOVAL TO AVOID INFECTION. THEN APPLY NEW STRING WHEN PEASSARY IS RE-INSERTED..
I HAVE USED THIS METHOD DURING MY FIRST WEEK & IT'S A LIFE-SAVER! NO BLEEDING OR STRUGGLING TO REACH & MANUALLY PULL OUT THE PESSARY!!! MY INCONTINANCE INSTANTLY STOPPED!!! WITH THE COMFORTABLE FITTING I'M AGAIN ABLE TO MOVE BALES OF HAY, & RIDE MY HORSE !!!
I HAVE AN APPT TO SEE THE DR IN 2 WEEKS.
IT'S CRITICAL TO FIND A KNOWLEDGEABLE GYNECOLOGIST WHO HELPFULLY SPENDS THE TIME ENSURING PROPER INSERT//REMOVAL PROCEDURES & ANSWERES ALL ONE'S QUESITONS!!!
WITH CAREFUL SANITATION METHODS, THE PESSARY IS THE ANSWER TO MY PRAYERS!!!

Bladder Prolapse