Bladder Prolapse

ask: Does anyone have any information on using a pessary for a cystocele?

By farraige

Anonymous

I am so glad my idea helped you. The string. I just replace my string
from tampon every now and then, but I do wash soak it often with soap,
hydrogen peroxide etc.

I could not use my pessary If I did not have a string.....

dery (reply to Anonymous)

Would you please tell me what kind of knot you used to tie the string to the pessary. I have had a pessary since 2011 with good success, however, I am having some difficulty removing it as I have arthritis in my right hand and I am having trouble grasping the pessary with my fingers . Do you experience pain when removing it?

Anonymous (reply to dery)

I just used tampon string, but as one lady suggested dental floss is good
too . After feeling a little more confident about getting my pessary out.
I went to a little shorter string, so that it was not in my pee and poop.
Just join both ends of string together, evenly, and twirl your fingers
just like a sewing knot. Then pull to make sure tightened, That knot holds up well..... I got a kiegel device, it has like fishing wire type string
on it. But I wanna be able to find mine.... so it does not get lost..ha ha

dery (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you. I will try the dental floss as I do not have tampon string. You did not mention if there is any pain on removal . I always find it a little uncomfortable to remove. +

Anonymous (reply to dery)

it might help just to insert a little gel first. Use a little estrogen creme if it is ok for you. It help keeps vaginal walls plyable.

Anonymous

I AM AN ACTIVE 78 YR OLD...RIDING MY HORSE, MOVING 100 LB BALES OF HAY, ETC. 7 MONTHS AGO I DEVELOPED PROLAPSE SYMPTOMS WHICH I TOLERATED UNTIL THE INCONTINENCE GOT OUT OF CONTROL!! PRINARY DR REfERED ME TO A GYNECOLOGIST. I LEARNED MORE FROM INTERNET THAN FROM HER!!! I THEN WENT TO ANOTHER GYNECOLOGIST WHO WAS SO HELPFUL!! WITH PREVIOUS BLEEDING, EXAM SHOWED MY CLAWING AT PESSARY TO REMOVE IT CAUSED THE BLEEDING! THE INTERNET'S 'STRING- TIED- TO- PESSARY REMEDY WAS SO HELPFUL! THE DR TOLD ME TO USE THIS METHOD BUT WARNED I MUST REMOVE STRING FROM PESSARY DURING NIGHTLY REMOVAL TO AVOID INFECTION. THEN APPLY NEW STRING WHEN PEASSARY IS RE-INSERTED..
I HAVE USED THIS METHOD DURING MY FIRST WEEK & IT'S A LIFE-SAVER! NO BLEEDING OR STRUGGLING TO REACH & MANUALLY PULL OUT THE PESSARY!!! MY INCONTINANCE INSTANTLY STOPPED!!! WITH THE COMFORTABLE FITTING I'M AGAIN ABLE TO MOVE BALES OF HAY, & RIDE MY HORSE !!!
I HAVE AN APPT TO SEE THE DR IN 2 WEEKS.
IT'S CRITICAL TO FIND A KNOWLEDGEABLE GYNECOLOGIST WHO HELPFULLY SPENDS THE TIME ENSURING PROPER INSERT//REMOVAL PROCEDURES & ANSWERES ALL ONE'S QUESITONS!!!
WITH CAREFUL SANITATION METHODS, THE PESSARY IS THE ANSWER TO MY PRAYERS!!!

Hopegina

Hello, I am 42 and have been leaking urine when i cough, sneeze and what not. I have no prolapse but it's just to the point where it is bothering me. So i got fit for a pessary. When i went to my OBGYN she showed me a few different ones and what she thought would work best for me. She put it in and ask me if i could feel it. She proceeded to tell me she was going to leave the room, she wanted me to do jumping jacks, and cough a few times to see if it helped / was comfortable. She also told me to take it out then put it back in to see if i did it right and she would come back in and check, of course i was off a little bit. She fitted me for the next size, and repeated again. She took the time until we were both happy with the one i was going to try.

If your doctor doesn't take the time to go over this sort of thing with you, i recommend you go elsewhere (i know not as easy as it seem). I am still trying to figure mine out, as it is hard to reach and seems crooked when it's in. I hope this helps. :)

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Hopegina)

Hi hopegina

Your advice is so valuable for our readers - thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

I think so. According to an article, "Practical Use of the Pessary" published in the journal, American Family Physician,

INCONTINENCE PESSARIES

The pessary compresses the urethra against the upper posterior portion of the symphysis pubis and elevates the bladder neck. This causes an increase in outflow resistance and corrects the angle between the bladder and the urethra so that Valsalva's maneuvers alone are not strong enough to cause leakage of urine. Any style of pessary that can accomplish this will help with the management of stress urinary incontinence.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I'm trying to find out if its okay to remove my pessary while on my menstral cycle, because I am a heavy bleeder & tampons & pads. I don't want to interrupt the healing process but my pessary only has tiny holes in it, not big enough to pass a tampon through, nor do I want to get an infection because the blood isn't flowing through properly what can I do ?